The Student Room Group

Is it ok to date someone 5 years older then you

I am 17 turning 18 I am just wondering if it’s ok to date someone 5 years older my boyfriend is 23 years of age and I just wanna know how people look at it like if it was the other way around would that be ok to ? Like I honestly don’t think there is anything wrong with that but I just wanna know how people look at it
Reply 1
At those ages, yes.
That said, someone will always disagree with everything. If you are going to let other's opinions get in the way of your relationship, then 5 years might be a bit much.
Yes it's fine- as long as nothing illegal is going on, everything is consensual and you are both happy together.
Personality, shared ambitions and compatible values are more relevant to a happy relationship between two law abiding persons over 16 than the age gaps.
Reply 3
All good especially as your over 16 👍. Age gap I won't say is a problem. I used to like a girl who was a family friend. Came across as a very mature, sensible, happy, jolly person. Found out she's 6 years older than me.
17 and 23 is a massive difference at that age, so yes lots of people will think its wierd/strange. same goes for if the genders were switched.

How long have you been dating? because that would definitely effect how people would see the relationship because the same age gap gets less socially acceptable the younger you are. (like 30 and 35 is no big deal but 15 and 20 defo is)

at the end of the day there will always be judgy people who will strongly disapprove, but its your relationship, not theirs
Original post by Zain k
All good especially as your over 16 👍. Age gap I won't say is a problem. I used to like a girl who was a family friend. Came across as a very mature, sensible, happy, jolly person. Found out she's 6 years older than me.

the most anticlamatic post ive read today
Reply 6
Original post by qwertuyuyuy
the most anticlamatic post ive read today

Sorry I should of said I believe she was engaged and got married as I heard about my grandparents going to a girls wedding in her family. Her mum or grandmother is friends with my gran hence my grandparents having a part in that event they went to.

I'll be honest I wouldn't mind being with a girl older than me.
Reply 7
We only dated since the end of Halloween and the thing he doesn’t even look 23 like he honestly looks like he is 19 or less I’ve always thought that age is just a number because we where not born in this earth to know we where this old it’s been invented just like time but that’s how I look at it in Korea a baby is born they are 1 years old straight away a age is just a number that’s been invented or whatever like Kardashian’s half of them dated men that are 10 years younger then them but do they care no ?
Reply 8
They say age is just but a number, I tend to believe it!
I think if you feel comfortable with him, and with your ages, it's fine. The main advice I'd give you is be particularly aware of red flags. Whilst they can appear in any relationship, regardless of age or sex, they are a bit different with age-gap relationships. I personally think part of that is people not wanting to see the red flags because they don't want to accept the idea that the age gap is a problem. Usually, the age gap isn't. It's the person taking advantage of the other's inexperience or naivety (which can honestly go both ways, as age does not equal maturity).

I hope you have a friend who you trust who isn't judgemental, so you can tell them if you feel something is off, without the over-used "I told you so" crap.

Also, highly recommend a game called We're Not Really Strangers (WNRS). Great to see if you're on the same page, and to just generally bond. It has an insta page so you can see some of the kinds of questions there.

Good luck and be happy :smile:
Reply 10
Yes I'm olso in love with a person 5 years older then me and he loves me back

Quick Reply

Latest