oliver1343
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys,
i’m currently studying a level sociology and i am loving it, so i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or things they wanted to discuss about sociology (because it’s such an abundant subject and it’s incredibly debate-worthy)
i’m especially interested in (classical) social theory and the sociology of education, but any discussions are welcome, including questions about the a level and what it’s like.
hope someone’s acc interested )
icarus04
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by oliver1343)
Hi guys,
i’m currently studying a level sociology and i am loving it, so i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or things they wanted to discuss about sociology (because it’s such an abundant subject and it’s incredibly debate-worthy)
i’m especially interested in (classical) social theory and the sociology of education, but any discussions are welcome, including questions about the a level and what it’s like.
hope someone’s acc interested )
Hi,
I actually already completed my A Levels but I just came across a thread asking a question about the self-fulfilling prophecy.. Here is the link. I tried answering it with my somewhat foggy memory of the subject - perhaps you'd have a better answer. Definitely an interesting subject to discuss!!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...686&highlight=

If you have any questions for me - feel free to ask! I certainly no expert but am more than happy to discuss
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why not just learn history, politics, religions, economics, psychology and philosophy? Doesn't all that cover sociology anyway? Isn't that pretty much sums up sociology and goes into specifics?
oliver1343
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Why not just learn history, politics, religions, economics, psychology and philosophy? Doesn't all that cover sociology anyway? Isn't that pretty much sums up sociology and goes into specifics?
in my opinion sociology is more than that though. i think the thing that separates sociology from each of those fields is social theory, which is what makes society more than the sum of its individual parts. it’s all well and good understanding how the economy works, what religions teach etc. but social theory contextualised those parts in an ideology like feminism or marxism. sociology examines those things in their social context, why they exist, what functions they provide for people, who benefits from it.
oliver1343
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
also i think sociology looks more at the social aspects of these things- studying education is all well and good to understand what testing is like, how you can teach pupils, but u don’t study subcultures, or the impact of your school experience on your identity. economics wouldn’t look at the social values of different classes and their sense of identity or community. there’s a certain social aspect lacking in those studies that is obviously the topic of sociological study
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (211)
74.82%
No (71)
25.18%

Watched Threads