The Student Room Group

Will unis be more lenient this year?

Do you think universities will be more leaninent this year as they know many people would have like to sat the exams and also many of us have had not good home learning experiences?
They have a fixed number of places - they can't be lenient to everyone.
Until we know exactly what the 'test' is that teachers will use to decide grades, and how these grades are going to be moderated, we have no idea how the Unis are likely to deal with things. In the short term, work hard, because that will still matter.
I bloody hope they are
The short answer is that no one knows. Grades could be higher or lower than a ‘normal’ year which will affect how many places they have left to offer to near miss candidates.
Reply 4
Some universities may be more lenient, but it very much depends on how many places they have available. The problem is if you get lower grades than expected and try to submit extenuating circumstances due to the pandemic, it would hard for universities to gauge how much better you would have done if it was a normal year.
Original post by miao8
Do you think universities will be more leaninent this year as they know many people would have like to sat the exams and also many of us have had not good home learning experiences?

In some ways I think they might be, however it all depends on the university and the specific course you are applying for. Without a doubt, there will not be much lenience for those wanting to do courses such as medicine and law, and overall courses in Oxbridge universities. That being said, I do think that other universities will take this into account. I was surprised to find that Birmingham had offered me 3 C's if I put them as my firm choice, which was definitely not between the AAB-ABB offer range they had put for the course on UCAS. Hopefully you get some reduced offers too :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by frankieshep
In some ways I think they might be, however it all depends on the university and the specific course you are applying for. Without a doubt, there will not be much lenience for those wanting to do courses such as medicine and law, and overall courses in Oxbridge universities. That being said, I do think that other universities will take this into account. I was surprised to find that Birmingham had offered me 3 C's if I put them as my firm choice, which was definitely not between the AAB-ABB offer range they had put for the course on UCAS. Hopefully you get some reduced offers too :smile:

Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after?
Birmingham are making quite of few of these CCC offers to get around the phasing out of unconditional offers. So far as I know it is not dependant on contextual markers.
Reply 8
Original post by miao8
Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after

Original post by frankieshep

for what course may i ask?
Original post by ZAYBOBZ
for what course may i ask?

Biological Sciences (Zoology), though my predicted grades are AAA
Original post by miao8
Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after?

No it wasn't contextual, it was just marked as an "attainment" offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending