miao8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you think universities will be more leaninent this year as they know many people would have like to sat the exams and also many of us have had not good home learning experiences?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They have a fixed number of places - they can't be lenient to everyone.
Until we know exactly what the 'test' is that teachers will use to decide grades, and how these grades are going to be moderated, we have no idea how the Unis are likely to deal with things. In the short term, work hard, because that will still matter.
ChrAgy2003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I bloody hope they are
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The short answer is that no one knows. Grades could be higher or lower than a ‘normal’ year which will affect how many places they have left to offer to near miss candidates.
JG260291
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some universities may be more lenient, but it very much depends on how many places they have available. The problem is if you get lower grades than expected and try to submit extenuating circumstances due to the pandemic, it would hard for universities to gauge how much better you would have done if it was a normal year.
frankieshep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by miao8)
Do you think universities will be more leaninent this year as they know many people would have like to sat the exams and also many of us have had not good home learning experiences?
In some ways I think they might be, however it all depends on the university and the specific course you are applying for. Without a doubt, there will not be much lenience for those wanting to do courses such as medicine and law, and overall courses in Oxbridge universities. That being said, I do think that other universities will take this into account. I was surprised to find that Birmingham had offered me 3 C's if I put them as my firm choice, which was definitely not between the AAB-ABB offer range they had put for the course on UCAS. Hopefully you get some reduced offers too
miao8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by frankieshep)
In some ways I think they might be, however it all depends on the university and the specific course you are applying for. Without a doubt, there will not be much lenience for those wanting to do courses such as medicine and law, and overall courses in Oxbridge universities. That being said, I do think that other universities will take this into account. I was surprised to find that Birmingham had offered me 3 C's if I put them as my firm choice, which was definitely not between the AAB-ABB offer range they had put for the course on UCAS. Hopefully you get some reduced offers too
Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after?
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Birmingham are making quite of few of these CCC offers to get around the phasing out of unconditional offers. So far as I know it is not dependant on contextual markers.
ZAYBOBZ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by miao8)
Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after
(Original post by frankieshep)
for what course may i ask?
frankieshep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZAYBOBZ)
for what course may i ask?
Biological Sciences (Zoology), though my predicted grades are AAA
frankieshep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by miao8)
Are you contextual or did they just reduce your offer after?
No it wasn't contextual, it was just marked as an "attainment" offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%