The Student Room Group

Religious studies help!

Hiiiii guysss! Okay so i really need help with this 12 mark question “As nobody is perfect, it is impossible not to sin” what can i write in my agree and disagree paragraphs in order to get top marks? I really want to get a good grade in religious studies🥺 thank u for helping (ik im annoying sorry!)
Original post by Girlbyeee
Hiiiii guysss! Okay so i really need help with this 12 mark question “As nobody is perfect, it is impossible not to sin” what can i write in my agree and disagree paragraphs in order to get top marks? I really want to get a good grade in religious studies🥺 thank u for helping (ik im annoying sorry!)

There is nothing annoying with asking for assistance; it is an essential part of development.

I believe this delves into the original sin and how Jesus supposedly sacrificed himself to cleanse humanity of Adam's treason (this is not something I believe in, but I believe it to be the context of the question).

Agree:
- It is human nature to do things that will benefit the greater good. To give an example, Bin Laden was killed by the US to prevent him from committing more terrorist attacks. Even though the act of murder is a sin, it was done for the benefit of humankind, and so we sin for the greater welfare of society.
- We are so busy with our everyday lives and events that we do not always have God's desires in mind. To give an instance, if you were to survey the average folk of a town, not many of them would say that they always think about God and his desires, and so if you are not thinking about sin as an everyday concept, you will unintentionally engage in it, be it through stealing your sibling's colouring pencils as a joke, or something trivial like that (poor example, provide a better one than I did).
- Perfection is an unattainable concept in the same way that infinity is. It is primarily subjective to the individual, and so the idea of being perfect is obselete, since there is no modern day example of such. Perhaps, in those times, Jesus was a perfect role model, but given the debate on whether his acts were real or not, such as the turning of water to wine (which did not happen, since that is pseudo-scientific, although he may have put some grapes in the water perhaps to give the illusion that it was wine, assuming you take the Bible as a factual, historical account), it is difficult to put perfection into everyday practice. Therefore, since perfection is unattainable, it is obvious we would sin.

Disagree:
- Sin is a man-made concept used in an authoritarian manner to control the masses. The fear of committing atrocities, such as murder, was cast as a sin to prevent people from doing such, and by implementing the idea of God and eternal hellfire, should you commit murder, then people would stop killing, or stealing, or any other of the 10 commandments. Essentially, sin was put in place as a form of theocratic law.
- You do not have to be perfect to not sin. Perhaps, the Bible can be interpreted in the same way the definition of veganism is, in that as far as is possible and practicable, we should eliminiate all forms of cruelty, exploitation and suffering to animals, given that we have plant-based alternatives available for our food, clothing and other consumer products. Likewise, we should not sin as far as is possible and practicable, and so given the context of the situation, we should do our best not to sin, and thus God may be willing to understand our interpretation of scripture in such a way.

P.S. I am a Philosophy student, and so my knowledge on this area is pretty good. I got an A* at GCSE Religious Studies, as well as an A at AS, and an A at A-level. I am only saying this to put some credibility behind what I have given you as some answers.
Reply 2
Original post by therationalbeing
There is nothing annoying with asking for assistance; it is an essential part of development.

I believe this delves into the original sin and how Jesus supposedly sacrificed himself to cleanse humanity of Adam's treason (this is not something I believe in, but I believe it to be the context of the question).

Agree:
- It is human nature to do things that will benefit the greater good. To give an example, Bin Laden was killed by the US to prevent him from committing more terrorist attacks. Even though the act of murder is a sin, it was done for the benefit of humankind, and so we sin for the greater welfare of society.
- We are so busy with our everyday lives and events that we do not always have God's desires in mind. To give an instance, if you were to survey the average folk of a town, not many of them would say that they always think about God and his desires, and so if you are not thinking about sin as an everyday concept, you will unintentionally engage in it, be it through stealing your sibling's colouring pencils as a joke, or something trivial like that (poor example, provide a better one than I did).
- Perfection is an unattainable concept in the same way that infinity is. It is primarily subjective to the individual, and so the idea of being perfect is obselete, since there is no modern day example of such. Perhaps, in those times, Jesus was a perfect role model, but given the debate on whether his acts were real or not, such as the turning of water to wine (which did not happen, since that is pseudo-scientific, although he may have put some grapes in the water perhaps to give the illusion that it was wine, assuming you take the Bible as a factual, historical account), it is difficult to put perfection into everyday practice. Therefore, since perfection is unattainable, it is obvious we would sin.

Disagree:
- Sin is a man-made concept used in an authoritarian manner to control the masses. The fear of committing atrocities, such as murder, was cast as a sin to prevent people from doing such, and by implementing the idea of God and eternal hellfire, should you commit murder, then people would stop killing, or stealing, or any other of the 10 commandments. Essentially, sin was put in place as a form of theocratic law.
- You do not have to be perfect to not sin. Perhaps, the Bible can be interpreted in the same way the definition of veganism is, in that as far as is possible and practicable, we should eliminiate all forms of cruelty, exploitation and suffering to animals, given that we have plant-based alternatives available for our food, clothing and other consumer products. Likewise, we should not sin as far as is possible and practicable, and so given the context of the situation, we should do our best not to sin, and thus God may be willing to understand our interpretation of scripture in such a way.

P.S. I am a Philosophy student, and so my knowledge on this area is pretty good. I got an A* at GCSE Religious Studies, as well as an A at AS, and an A at A-level. I am only saying this to put some credibility behind what I have given you as some answers.

Omgg thank youuuu so muchhh for taking ur time out to help! I really appreciate it alotttt thankyouuu💕
Original post by Girlbyeee
Omgg thank youuuu so muchhh for taking ur time out to help! I really appreciate it alotttt thankyouuu💕

Technically, answering philosophical and theology questions is part of my work, and so spending time on this is perfectly fine by me. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest