The Student Room Group

A level choices help?!

Which would be the most respected/hardest workload in your opinion? (realise it's different for everyone but I'm generally an all rounder and strong in both essays and maths)

1) Maths, Further Maths, Economics, RS
2) Maths, Economics, History, RS
3) Maths, Further Maths, History, RS

How respected would option 1 be? Leaning a bit towards that but unsure. Also how talented do you have to be to do FM, I'll get two 9s at GCSE further and reg maths but unsure how I'll cope at A level. Wouls greatly appreciate any advice.
IMO option 2, but you don't need to do 4 a levels
Original post by hootdoot04
IMO option 2, but you don't need to do 4 a levels

Thanks for the input. Currently leaning towards that because they'll compliment each other in skills terms I suppose. I have to do four to start off with and I wouldn't mind having a backup, I'm teaching myself AS maths in lockdown and rs so I should be fine for four I reckon. Why did you suggest option 2?
Original post by PandaPancake0
Thanks for the input. Currently leaning towards that because they'll compliment each other in skills terms I suppose. I have to do four to start off with and I wouldn't mind having a backup, I'm teaching myself AS maths in lockdown and rs so I should be fine for four I reckon. Why did you suggest option 2?

Because it's more of a wide range of subjects
Reply 4
Do you have an idea of the sort of degree you'd like to do? If you're looking to apply for economics, maths or physics then you should definitely take further maths - it's almost an unofficial requirement. If you haven't chosen yet, I agree that option 2 is a good choice since you can apply for a wide range of courses with those A Levels.
Original post by rhaelle
Do you have an idea of the sort of degree you'd like to do? If you're looking to apply for economics, maths or physics then you should definitely take further maths - it's almost an unofficial requirement. If you haven't chosen yet, I agree that option 2 is a good choice since you can apply for a wide range of courses with those A Levels.

I definitely want to do PPE probably. So I don't need further maths but it would be useful for LSE, they say it would be helpful and tbf I don't think maths skills would go amiss for any economics course in uni. Thanks for the advice! I'm leaning towards option 2 but further maths has does have its benefits so I'm not sure yet. I think I'll try doing maths A level in lockdown and see how that goes
Which would be the most respected/hardest workload in your opinion? (realise it's different for everyone but I'm generally an all rounder and strong in both essays and maths)

How respected would option 1 be? Leaning a bit towards that but unsure. Also how talented do you have to be to do FM, I'll get two 9s at GCSE further and reg maths but unsure how I'll cope at A level. Wouls greatly appreciate any advice.

What are you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 7

if you want to do PPE maths and economics would definitely be a good shout, and RS would definitely compliment it. Economics is better than further maths, if you think you can do 4 go for it (or maybe try for year 12), but option 2 will definitely suffice

Quick Reply

Latest