a level sociology

Watch this thread
dalixh
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm studying the self-fulfilling prophecy in sociology right now and I'm quite confused on why there would be a greater effect on younger children. any answer would be useful
icarus04
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dalixh)
I'm studying the self-fulfilling prophecy in sociology right now and I'm quite confused on why there would be a greater effect on younger children. any answer would be useful
Hi, I did sociology at A level and I vaguely remember reading about this. I am not fully sure why this has a greater effect on younger children... but if my memory serves me well it could be due to the fact that young children are more easily socialized. Schools, parents, siblings etc... all have a role as agents of socialization so if they essentially 'teach' a young child that they are super smart/gifted or not very smart etc they are more likely to adopt that belief about themselves since they are young and more impressionable. This results in them fulfilling this 'prophecy'.

This may be a stretch but if you recall learning about feral children it may help you understand how younger children are more likely to be affected by self-fulfilling prophecies. Labelling theory (under the education unit) is similar to the self-fulfilling prophecy - its basically a subset of the overall 'self fulfilling prophecy' theory.

I know that isn't the most scientific explanation but I can try to find my notes and refer back to what I learned. I don't remember it being a hugely important topic but perhaps its different based on exam board?

Hope that helps! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions
X
icarus04
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oh also.. I found this website really helped me when I was studying. https://revisesociology.com/tag/self...ling-prophecy/ You may have already come across it but this section delves a bit deeper into the labelling theory + self fulfilling prophecy
dalixh
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by icarus04)
Hi, I did sociology at A level and I vaguely remember reading about this. I am not fully sure why this has a greater effect on younger children... but if my memory serves me well it could be due to the fact that young children are more easily socialized. Schools, parents, siblings etc... all have a role as agents of socialization so if they essentially 'teach' a young child that they are super smart/gifted or not very smart etc they are more likely to adopt that belief about themselves since they are young and more impressionable. This results in them fulfilling this 'prophecy'.

This may be a stretch but if you recall learning about feral children it may help you understand how younger children are more likely to be affected by self-fulfilling prophecies. Labelling theory (under the education unit) is similar to the self-fulfilling prophecy - its basically a subset of the overall 'self fulfilling prophecy' theory.

I know that isn't the most scientific explanation but I can try to find my notes and refer back to what I learned. I don't remember it being a hugely important topic but perhaps its different based on exam board?

Hope that helps! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions
X
thank you so much, this is so helpful. what exam board did you do? i'm doing aqa atm
icarus04
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
thank you so much, this is so helpful. what exam board did you do? i'm doing aqa atm
No worries! Glad that was helpful My exam board was CIE. 3 papers - family, theory + methods, social inequality (education, globalization, media, religion).

I also mentioned this thread on another thread I saw about a level sociology...You can find it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...852&highlight=
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (187)
41.93%
The paper was reasonable (197)
44.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.74%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.16%

Watched Threads