Interview Question: "How have you creatively solved a problem"

Watch
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I was asked this in a phone interview this morning:

"How have you creatively solved a problem in relation to your degree or work experience".

She asked me that right out of nowhere lol. Wasn't related to the other questions I was asked. I was pretty stumped so tried to blag something but can't say I solved the problem in a creative way. She basically knew this so moved onto the next question

How would you answer this question in relation to your degree or work experience?
mbdnr506
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This sort of question is basically a test of how well you've prepared for the interview, isn't it?

If you have a list in mind of answers to related questions (e.g. 'how have you dealt with a pressurised situation at work?'), I expect you should be able to adapt one of them to suit this question.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
(Original post by mbdnr506)
This sort of question is basically a test of how well you've prepared for the interview, isn't it?

If you have a list in mind of answers to related questions (e.g. 'how have you dealt with a pressurised situation at work?'), I expect you should be able to adapt one of them to suit this question.
Possibly. They only told me about the interview on Friday and my weekend wasn't exactly smooth, but I considered myself to be fully prepared for the start of the interview.

An hour later, I still can't think of how I would answer the question in relation to what I have done.
mbdnr506
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I guess you have to think about a situation in which you might have had to come up with a new way of doing something, rather than just following procedure. Not knowing anything about what you have done or what job you are trying to get I can't really be much more specific.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For me, in the past, I've drawn on my film-making; and adapting when I didn't have the right resources available (e.g. a library bookshelf on wheels instead of tracking).
heartofengland
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yep this question is similar to "time youv had to use your own initiative when something hasnt gone way you planned" etc, as said above you should try and think of a example you have and twist it to suit q, tho i know its difficult to sound truthful when put on the spot! This question requred you to talk about something you did unexpected to solve a problem.

If put on the spot i would have used my example of a time i had a conflict with a committe member over what our first event was going to be, he as the treasurer thought one option wasnt viable but everyone else agreed with me, but i still had to respect his opinion so i created a different event but still aiming for the same goals which was to introduce members to the society but making it more cost effective and both sides r happy.

This example isnt perfect as its one i prepared for conflicts, but it kind of answers your q as well and if mind is blank is a gd reply!
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
"My advice is to always follow your dream. Might take a while, but if this is what you dream of, it's worth it! Grab that dream job of yours, whatever it takes!"

Good luck!
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Was this for IBM??

That was one of their questions I had to answer on their mini CV type thing. It was the worst one of the lost. Luckily I am a games programmer so I can say there was a problem with one of my games blah blah blah.

Applied last Wed, haven't heard anything yet
Medibot
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Damn I'd be stumped too if I was asked that
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
(Original post by Orthala)
Was this for IBM??

That was one of their questions I had to answer on their mini CV type thing. It was the worst one of the lost. Luckily I am a games programmer so I can say there was a problem with one of my games blah blah blah.

Applied last Wed, haven't heard anything yet
Nah. The woman on the phone asked it out of nowhere, it was the proverbial boot-to-groin question.

Btw, it took them 11 days to contact me arranging a phone interview after applying so, although not the same company, don't give up hope. Not until they go at least 2 weeks anyway :p:
studynz2008
Report 11 years ago
It was a test of how you will handle pressure instantly. In my case, I was asked on how i can solved a certain unknown problem. I just said that I must enumerate the most possible solutions and try to identify its consequences.

Like if you are working in a customer service related type, if the customer complains...how would you handle it? First, you should let the customer to keep in calm then second, ask the customer politely on what is her complaining of then checked out possible solutions on how you can help her. If you cannot solve it and then ask your supervisor for help.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mbdnr506)
No, it's a test of what you've done. If you don't have good examples, all the preparing in the world won't magic one out. Conversely, I managed to be woken up, entirely unprepared, for one and got the highest possible marks in each question. While preparing is useful, having done stuff is more important.
shazya
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi
i need a little help with a question on an application person specification section,
can anyone give examples of what solving problems creatively is?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
30.16%
No (308)
69.84%

Watched Threads