Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im 19 and still get the bus. I just want to be able to drive. Its so depressing, I get really depressed & self conscious about it and I am 19 years old. I know its not the worst thing in the world and I am grateful that I can even afford to use the bus. Im aware there's people worse off than me but that doesn’t mean my feelings don't matter because everyone's feelings matter weather they are small or big because everyone deserves happiness.

I am learning to drive and saving up for a car but its just I need to pass my test. It gets me down, I feel like a failure that I still can't drive at this age because other people do and most people drive. The thought of getting buses all my life just scares me, like there's nothing wrong at all with it but it's just not something that I like at all. I was going to college on my last day, I was coming back and this guy was shouting at me because of social distancing on the bus he was swearing saying that I am meant to leave my distance so I did. People think the bus isn't stigmatised but I have seen that it is. There was this girl who couldn't drive, I was with my friends, she was like 30s and were just "bantering" off her saying she can't drive she still gets the bus so it made me think **** and all that. I don't get upset because of just the stigma its just I feel like passing your driving test is a milestone I should have got by now and its just my social issues that I have on buses because I have to wait in the cold, talk to a driver, sit on it with many people there and I think waiting for it is an issue because it can take ages.
Anonymous #1
?????
Fox Hound
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im 19 and still get the bus. I just want to be able to drive. Its so depressing, I get really depressed & self conscious about it and I am 19 years old. I know its not the worst thing in the world and I am grateful that I can even afford to use the bus. Im aware there's people worse off than me but that doesn’t mean my feelings don't matter because everyone's feelings matter weather they are small or big because everyone deserves happiness.

I am learning to drive and saving up for a car but its just I need to pass my test. It gets me down, I feel like a failure that I still can't drive at this age because other people do and most people drive. The thought of getting buses all my life just scares me, like there's nothing wrong at all with it but it's just not something that I like at all. I was going to college on my last day, I was coming back and this guy was shouting at me because of social distancing on the bus he was swearing saying that I am meant to leave my distance so I did. People think the bus isn't stigmatised but I have seen that it is. There was this girl who couldn't drive, I was with my friends, she was like 30s and were just "bantering" off her saying she can't drive she still gets the bus so it made me think **** and all that. I don't get upset because of just the stigma its just I feel like passing your driving test is a milestone I should have got by now and its just my social issues that I have on buses because I have to wait in the cold, talk to a driver, sit on it with many people there and I think waiting for it is an issue because it can take ages.
I think you're too focussed on what other people think. It's great you want to learn how to drive but learn for the right reasons, not just so you can show off your car to others. Not owning a car has a lot of benefits as well. You would have to spend a few thousand just buying a car, getting insurance, paying for maintenance, fuel etc. Imagine if you saved all that money and put it into a savings account, or even better a LISA or just investing in something. All that money saved could go towards owning a house at a younger age for example. Imagine owning a house at 25 or 26 instead of 30. That to me is way more impressive than being able to drive a car. If people ask you why you don't drive, just explain that you're saving or investing the money towards something greater, like for a deposit, and I guarantee they would praise you for being sensible about your future and have a lot more respect for you than if you went and bought a car. Definitely learn to drive, but don't buy a car for the sake of pleasing other people.
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm 22 I don't drive, someone in my class is 25 and doesn't. It's nbd. I understand that it's a big milestone and a lot of people do it the instant they're old enough but it really doesn't matter and any reasonable person wouldn't judge you for not driving so don't worry from that point of view.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fox Hound)
I think you're too focussed on what other people think. It's great you want to learn how to drive but learn for the right reasons, not just so you can show off your car to others. Not owning a car has a lot of benefits as well. You would have to spend a few thousand just buying a car, getting insurance, paying for maintenance, fuel etc. Imagine if you saved all that money and put it into a savings account, or even better a LISA or just investing in something. All that money saved could go towards owning a house at a younger age for example. Imagine owning a house at 25 or 26 instead of 30. That to me is way more impressive than being able to drive a car. If people ask you why you don't drive, just explain that you're saving or investing the money towards something greater, like for a deposit, and I guarantee they would praise you for being sensible about your future and have a lot more respect for you than if you went and bought a car. Definitely learn to drive, but don't buy a car for the sake of pleasing other people.
Of course I am not doing it to show off to other people, im not doing that, im not going to go around flexing my car because no one cares and most people have one. Im 100 percent doing it for myself to get around, im into cars so much, its for convenience and a lot of reasons. It is expensive but its a good thing. I know i can move out early but what would be the point because I would just get a house and probably have no one to live with. Not being able to drive sucks. Im buying a car when I pass not for the sake of it its because I want and need one along with many other people. You seem a bit against me having a car
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, Jeb Bush, here's your reply.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by NedgarDavids)
I'm 22 I don't drive, someone in my class is 25 and doesn't. It's nbd. I understand that it's a big milestone and a lot of people do it the instant they're old enough but it really doesn't matter and any reasonable person wouldn't judge you for not driving so don't worry from that point of view.
How come you don't drive?
I'm not upset because people judge me its because mostly because its affecting me and stuff like i just want to drive and get a car because its just so much better
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’re going to have a very miserable life if you keep comparing yourself to others. It doesn’t matter when you learn how to drive or if you learn at all.
Valerialk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YaliaV123)
You’re going to have a very miserable life if you keep comparing yourself to others. It doesn’t matter when you learn how to drive or if you learn at all.
👏🏼well said.
Fox Hound
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course I am not doing it to show off to other people, im not doing that, im not going to go around flexing my car because no one cares and most people have one. Im 100 percent doing it for myself to get around, im into cars so much, its for convenience and a lot of reasons. It is expensive but its a good thing. I know i can move out early but what would be the point because I would just get a house and probably have no one to live with. Not being able to drive sucks. Im buying a car when I pass not for the sake of it its because I want and need one along with many other people. You seem a bit against me having a car
Hey, if it's for the sake of yourself and getting around then definitely get a car. I was trying to explain the benefits of not having a car and what you'd be able to do instead. Your original post comes off as you only wanting to drive just to show off. I'm against you getting a car for that reason but if its a necessity and you're doing it for yourself then absolutely learn and get one.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV123)
Its not even just me comparing myself to others its just im into cars and I just want to be able to drive but can't
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fox Hound)
Hey, if it's for the sake of yourself and getting around then definitely get a car. I was trying to explain the benefits of not having a car and what you'd be able to do instead. Your original post comes off as you only wanting to drive just to show off. I'm against you getting a car for that reason but if its a necessity and you're doing it for yourself then absolutely learn and get one.
No, that would be obnoxious to just get a car to show off to people. Them people are neeks who do things like that. I hope my post doesn't come off like that to other people
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Back to this one again, eh?
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure", as Margaret Thatcher (possibly) said. You've still got time don't worry.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RedGiant)
"A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure", as Margaret Thatcher (possibly) said. You've still got time don't worry.
Are you 26 and can't drive?
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you 26 and can't drive?
Nope, passed when I was 17 :rolleyes: (since you asked)
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RedGiant)
Nope, passed when I was 17 :rolleyes:
Well done. I thought you were saying you were but I read your post again and yes I agree with you. Cheers
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How come you don't drive?
I'm not upset because people judge me its because mostly because its affecting me and stuff like i just want to drive and get a car because its just so much better
Mainly cost mixed with a slight fear of driving, I've always had to use the taxi of mum so I do appreciate that it feels uncomfortable/can be very inconvenient. You're on the right track though so just stick at it, you'll get there soon enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed