Extenuating Circumstances refused

Watch
Lyxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would appreciate any advice I cannot believe this happened. Also just some background I have ADHD but take medication so all is well. For the first time ever my doctor sent me a prescription for the wrong medication, and then went on holiday so no medication for me, and also crippling withdrawal from sudden cold turkey as well as the standard full on return of all symptoms ADHD. This was in early December so between 3-4 weeks before 2 of my deadlines. I put in an extenuating circumstances form, telling my school that I will be without medication until mid January so i'm a little bit of a mess and don't think I will be able to perform very well... they refused. Apparently because I sent in the forms 3 days too early so it technically wasnt short term sudden or unexpected. So my knee jerk response was ok, I want to drop out because ??

I have 11 days to decide to stay or not without forfeiting a years tuition. The thing is I did both pieces of coursework and submitted them (albeit 7 days late) which would have been fine had my EC been accepted. I spoke to my tutor and his response was 'Your EC was just rejected on a technicality'.

The worst thing is I really tried so hard, sitting at my desk everyday was honestly painful. I've already decided i'm not redoing the coursework so there's no point continuing my course, but at the same time it would be such a shame to throw away so much hard work over this.

What should I do?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lyxo)
Would appreciate any advice I cannot believe this happened. Also just some background I have ADHD but take medication so all is well. For the first time ever my doctor sent me a prescription for the wrong medication, and then went on holiday so no medication for me, and also crippling withdrawal from sudden cold turkey as well as the standard full on return of all symptoms ADHD. This was in early December so between 3-4 weeks before 2 of my deadlines. I put in an extenuating circumstances form, telling my school that I will be without medication until mid January so i'm a little bit of a mess and don't think I will be able to perform very well... they refused. Apparently because I sent in the forms 3 days too early so it technically wasnt short term sudden or unexpected. So my knee jerk response was ok, I want to drop out because ??

I have 11 days to decide to stay or not without forfeiting a years tuition. The thing is I did both pieces of coursework and submitted them (albeit 7 days late) which would have been fine had my EC been accepted. I spoke to my tutor and his response was 'Your EC was just rejected on a technicality'.

The worst thing is I really tried so hard, sitting at my desk everyday was honestly painful. I've already decided i'm not redoing the coursework so there's no point continuing my course, but at the same time it would be such a shame to throw away so much hard work over this.

What should I do?
The problem is you have to have operating policies to stop students abusing the system. It just so happens the procedures caused this issue for you. I would recommend going and speaking to the student union who should be able to lobby for the EC on your behalf, their should be a way to appeal this decision.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there no way to appeal the decision?
Although, i'm curious why you didnt simply go back to the GP and speak to another doctor, or even reception, about the mix up? These things being easy to rectify usually.. especially if you apparently have some form of habituation to the drug.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lyxo)

What should I do?
Why couldn't another doctor prescribe your medication? Your doctor knew they were going away so presumably made alternative arrangements for the hundreds of patients they treat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads