Husky293
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I’m currently in year 12, well retaking year 12, studying biology, chemistry and psychology. I have mediocre GCSE’s that scrape entry requirements with 766 sciences, 6 maths, 6 English lang & 5 English lit and 4s in comp science and geography with a 2 in French. Realistically I don’t know if I even have a chance of getting an interview let alone offer when I apply in year 13 for 2022/2023 even if I get AAA, a good UCAT score and not to mention currently having no extra curricular university events/programmes attended to include in my personal statement. I just want to know if it’s a pipe dream or not.

I didn’t take year 11 serious, hence the bad GCSEs but I was wondering if it was possible it I resat them after focusing on sixth form and receiving good A level results, so a gap year in a sense to resit: maths, bio, chem, English lang and maybe comp science to bump them up to minimum 7 so I have at least 6 grade 7s (I have a 7 in physics). So in a sense I would be applying for 2024 undergrad dentistry, entering the course at the age of 21 with past UCAT experience and being able to improve upon my personal statement and get work experience. I have emailed a list of universities about a prospective students eligibility if they were to retake Y12 and still have more to email because they would rather want a GCSE resit student than an A level resit student but I wanted to hear the hard cold truth from someone with experience as a dental student or someone in the dental field on whether this pathway into dentistry is a waste of time and to start looking at other degrees.
Last edited by Husky293; 1 month ago
daisymaylyons
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey , I’m currently in yr 12 aswell , as someone who did get the most amazing GCSE grades due to them being predicted, i understand you concern and self doubt .
However , if you haven’t got the bare minimum GCSE entry requirements i think it’s going to be very hard to get into dentistry . Also most dental schools don’t except resits of GCSE & a levels , or retaking years .
However , you could always look around i’m sure some universities do have exceptions , for example i think bristol has quite low entry requirements . Also you could enter Dentistry as a graduate course and start off by doing a different university course for example biomedical science .

I hope this helps , good luck for the future & don’t give up !!
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your GCSEs are relatively weak which will hinder your application in any school you're eligible to apply for - but for quite a few, you don't meet the requirements. If you don't have any extra-curricular activities at all, that will also impact your application because your personal statement will be weak. AAA is the minimum requirement for most schools (some are A*AA) but dentistry is competitive so having the bare minimum in several aspects of your application is unlikely to secure you interviews as many applicants will have greater stats (and will also be rejected)
Not all schools accept resists - it's good that you've emailed to check which ones do.
Look to see if you're eligible for contextual offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (113)
23.35%
Live streaming events (44)
9.09%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.5%
A uni comparison tool (110)
22.73%
An in-person event when available (109)
22.52%