villaflordia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a non-EU student and I have only been granted a UK permanent residence status last November 2020 but has been a working professional in this country and stayed legally for over 10 years. My Msc started in September 2020 and I have applied Msc loan in November thinking that I needed to wait for my BRP card to meet the requirement that I will be able to stay in the country legally. I was asked to provide evidence of my legal stay from 2017 which I am able to provide but the advisor for SFE stated I am no longer eligible because I applied after the start date of my course. I have gone through the guidance and could not find where this information is stated. The only guidance i could find re: this is:If you started on or after 1 August 2017You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course.The academic yearThe academic year is a period of 12 months.The first day of your academic year depends when your course starts.May I please request for further advice? as the advisor that I spoken to was adamant that I am no longer eligible to apply for the msc loan.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by villaflordia)
I'm a non-EU student and I have only been granted a UK permanent residence status last November 2020 but has been a working professional in this country and stayed legally for over 10 years. My Msc started in September 2020 and I have applied Msc loan in November thinking that I needed to wait for my BRP card to meet the requirement that I will be able to stay in the country legally. I was asked to provide evidence of my legal stay from 2017 which I am able to provide but the advisor for SFE stated I am no longer eligible because I applied after the start date of my course. I have gone through the guidance and could not find where this information is stated. The only guidance i could find re: this is:If you started on or after 1 August 2017You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course.The academic yearThe academic year is a period of 12 months.The first day of your academic year depends when your course starts.May I please request for further advice? as the advisor that I spoken to was adamant that I am no longer eligible to apply for the msc loan.
Hi, you are required to hold 3 years of valid status prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Do you hold indefinite leave to remain/enter?
Thanks, Isaac
villaflordia
Rep:
?
Dear Isaac, thank you for your response. I do hold an indefinite leave to remain but was only granted this last November 2020. prior to that I was on a working visa with the NHS and has initially entered UK back in 2010. I have been in UK legally for over 10 years hence I was granted an indefinite leave to remain and have documentation to prove this. Will this not be sufficient? From the advice I got, it seemed that I would have needed to have the indefinite leave to remain for three years before applying and that I should have applied before my start date. This did not make any sense to me if I was going to base it on the published guidance online. Are you able to clarify please?thanks,Dianne
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dear Isaac, thank you for your response. I do hold an indefinite leave to remain but was only granted this last November 2020. prior to that I was on a working visa with the NHS and has initially entered UK back in 2010. I have been in UK legally for over 10 years hence I was granted an indefinite leave to remain and have documentation to prove this. Will this not be sufficient? From the advice I got, it seemed that I would have needed to have the indefinite leave to remain for three years before applying and that I should have applied before my start date. This did not make any sense to me if I was going to base it on the published guidance online. Are you able to clarify please?thanks,Dianne
Did you have leave to remain before you had indefinite leave to remain?
Thanks, Isaac
villaflordia
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Did you have leave to remain before you had indefinite leave to remain?
Thanks, Isaac
Hello Isaac, I am working for the NHS they have sponsored my leave to remain here as a skilled worker so yes I had a legal one.
thanks,
Dianne
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello Isaac, I am working for the NHS they have sponsored my leave to remain here as a skilled worker so yes I had a legal one.
thanks,
Dianne
You don't need indefinite leave to remain(ILR) for 3 years, just valid status for 3 years.

The standard criteria is:

-Have settled status in the UK (ILR or ILE), this must have been granted before the first day of the first AY of their course
-Have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three years prior to the first day of the first AY of their course, they need to provide Home Office status evidence for this period
-Be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first AY of their course

You meet all of this criteria so you should be eligible as long as you did hold legal status before your indefinite leave to remain was awarded and you have had legal status for 3 years. Evidence will be required to show your status.

Thanks, Isaac
villaflordia
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
You don't need indefinite leave to remain(ILR) for 3 years, just valid status for 3 years.

The standard criteria is:

-Have settled status in the UK (ILR or ILE), this must have been granted before the first day of the first AY of their course
-Have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the three years prior to the first day of the first AY of their course, they need to provide Home Office status evidence for this period
-Be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first AY of their course

You meet all of this criteria so you should be eligible as long as you did hold legal status before your indefinite leave to remain was awarded and you have had legal status for 3 years. Evidence will be required to show your status.

Thanks, Isaac
Dear Isaac,

Thanks for clarifying this. Another point I'd like to confirm.

Would I need to have applied for the post grad loan prior to my course start date?
As from what I understand from guidance below is that it's only within 9 months and did not specify if before or after. I was told by the advisor over the phone that I should have applied before Sept 20 which was the start of course and should be the academic year I am enrolled with.

If you started on or after 1 August 2017You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course.The academic year The academic year is a period of 12 months.The first day of your academic year depends when your course starts.

thanks,
Dianne
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dear Isaac,

Thanks for clarifying this. Another point I'd like to confirm.

Would I need to have applied for the post grad loan prior to my course start date?
As from what I understand from guidance below is that it's only within 9 months and did not specify if before or after. I was told by the advisor over the phone that I should have applied before Sept 20 which was the start of course and should be the academic year I am enrolled with.

If you started on or after 1 August 2017You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course.The academic year The academic year is a period of 12 months.The first day of your academic year depends when your course starts.

thanks,
Dianne
You have up to 9 months after the start of the academic year to apply.
If your course starts on the 20/09 then the academic year start date is the 01/09.
Thanks, Isaac
villaflordia
Rep:
?
Dear Isaac,you just made my day thank you so much.you were very helpful.with regards,Dianne
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dear Isaac,you just made my day thank you so much.you were very helpful.with regards,Dianne
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (611)
49.16%
No (632)
50.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise