inka666vk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should I takeistory English LitEnglish LangMediaPsychology?
Bullseye180
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the reason why you think you need to take 5? Please explain.
inka666vk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Because I like all of this subjects and I think some of them would be useful depending on the Uni option I pick
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English lit and lang are quite similar, so maybe pick one or do the combined course? 5 (and 4) is a lot of work and theres not point having three average grades when you can have 3 amazing grades.
Mayataylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do u want to do at uni. I would say lit over Lang depending
catn00b
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you consider the workload - 5 A-Levels is a lot and it's def better to get fewer A-levels at better grades!
arwaisfailing
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
pls do not post multiple threads of the exact same thing
vidi2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by inka666vk)
Why do you need to take 5? Even Oxbridge is saying 4 is too much and unis prefer 3 a-level subjects. It's not as easy as it sounds you know to take 5 . Im in yr 12 taking 3 subjects and the workload is already heavy. Its not about quantity of subjects its about the quality of your grades. I absolutely DO NOT recommend it unless you wanna be in a position of regret and stress in the end. Take the 3 most important ones that relate to your what you wanna do at uni.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With those subjects... definitely not.

Do 3 well and achieve highly in other areas, is better than doing 5 and risking coming out with sub-par grades.
abbbbbb.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I personally, wouldn't take 5 alevels as there would be too much work load pressure! If I were you I would take 4 alevels instead of 5. Maybe only take one english instead of both as they are both quite similar. But if you do end up taking all 5, good luck!
Bullseye180
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe the best thing to do is to start a thread - 'Have you taken 5 A levels?'

See what the response is as they may be able to help and guide you. Not sure that you will find many (if any) who has done so over 2 years.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
5 Subjects looool goodluck mate
stephsmhb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 is easily manageable. But i know very few people that have managed 5 and got their best grades in all of them. I'd sugest dropping the English that you enjoy the least. There is no point taking both. Alternatively, maybe drop media as very competitive courses such as law might not like it.
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I currently do 4 A-Levels and an EPQ.
Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Geography and EPQ

It's not impossible, but it's definitely hard. You have to be very good at managing time and a workload. Unironically I am the most organised in my 6form despite my workload. However, its the workload that forces me to be organised, I can't let anything slip because If I do it is a pain to catch up. I think out of all the time I spent at 6 form so far, year 13 mock week was the most stressful since I was trying to practice for a Cambridge interview at the same time, and I knew I was going to lose a day of learning for my interviews on top.

I generally didn't think I was going to do EPQ when I decided to do 4 A-Levels, however, my school makes it mandatory for the first year. Therefore I did it and got ahead. I wrote my whole project over the summer to ease my workload this year. So I don't particularly regret it.

In conclusion, if there is subject you naturally read into and most likely could get a solid C before the A-level then it's definitely worth doing it. If not then its push for shove.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bullseye180)
See what the response is as they may be able to help and guide you. Not sure that you will find many (if any) who has done so over 2 years.
On TSR? You will.

Problem is those are very likely to be either a) exceptional individuals which do not apply to other people at all or b) liars. And the bigger problem is those who don't post: people who did 5 and then it went really badly, tend not to want to talk about it.

But I bet OP won't pay attention to any of that anyway. This being TSR, they may well already view themselves as 'exceptional' and so actually view 'omg that's crazy' type comments actually as encouragement. My argument, is that even if that's the case and they could do it, doesn't mean they should do it. There are other, more productive ways to prove how exceptional you are. Olympiads, essay prizes, just... working on other things to build your non-academic qualities. Etc.
Mayataylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I really think people overstate how hard 4 a levels are. I do 4 essay based a levels (hard ones) and an EPQ and although it’s a lot of content - maybe 4 essays a week on a really bad week but normally only 1 or two - it’s very manageable, and I’m doing pretty well at the moment (hopefully it lasts lol). I’d say with essay subjects 4 is the max tho I’d cut out media or English Lang dependant on what u want to do at uni. Can people please stop pretending a levels are the most difficult, impossible, unmanageable things to exist because although they are hard people really exaggerate and I was terrified when I started to find out that if I worked hard the workload wasn’t that bad and I was getting pretty good grades. Make sure you are prepared to work tho and you can always drop one.
anabundanceofas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
On average, you will get about 5 hours worth of independent work per subject per week. If you take 5 A Levels, that's about 25 hours of work per week that you will have to do in your own time on top of lessons, staying in good health, maintaining some sort of social life, potentially having a part time job, and continuing to pursue your own interests outside of academia. I would also like to point out that history, English literature, and English language each have a coursework module that will make up about 20% of your final grade, so your Year 12 summer/start of Year 13 will be incredibly stressful with coursework, uni applications, and normal schoolwork. I'm assuming that you would also have some sort of coursework unit for media as well, which will just make things even more stressful. Taking 5 A Levels isn't likely to do you any more good than showing unis you can manage your time if you manage to get good grades, but you can also prove you have that quality while doing 3 A Levels.

I know it's tough choosing your A Levels, but I personally think it would be best to narrow your options down. You can do this by (1) looking at what exam boards you'll be on for each subject, looking at the specification and seeing whether you would enjoy the topics on the course; (2) look into uni courses you might be interested in doing and see what the subject requirements are/ what they like to see; (3) writing pros and cons for each subject; (4) do an EPQ in one of the subjects instead of taking it. Also consider that your subjects will give you transferable skills that will help you get onto a variety of courses, so you can still keep your options open with 3 A Levels.

If you're really keen on doing both the English qualifications, maybe try to see if your school/college offers a combined version, or pick which one you would enjoy the most based off your research into the specifications.

I myself do English Lit and History, and I can already say that they are very full-on subjects with a lot of content, reading, writing and analysis. I'm struggling to make my third subject just as much of a priority, so I can't imagine having 2 extra subjects on top of it.

I would also advise against picking something just because you were/are good at it at GCSE; ask yourself whether you would still truly enjoy and persevere in the subject if it gets hard and you end up getting a low grade.

If you really can't manage to narrow it down, then potentially start with 5 and make it your goal to drop the one/two you dislike the most in the first few weeks of Year 12. But generally, I think doing 3 A Levels and maybe an EPQ is the best option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads