ghostichor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm considering taking Classics as I'm really interested in Greek myths and ancient history (stemming from a childhood obsession with percy jackson lol) but I'd like to know more about it and what it's like to study. I didn't do it for GCSE but I did do History. How different is Classics to History, and how fun is it to study? And is Classics or History more highly regarded among universities? Thanks
connyjash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found classics a lot different to GCSE history- it's more like English considering the amount of reading involved. It is fun to learn, especially if you're already interested in ancient history, though we don't do much about the myths themselves (I guess it depends on which units your teacher chooses). As for university, I'd say classics would be more highly regarded as less people study it? Hope this helped
Last edited by connyjash; 1 month ago
ghostichor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by connyjash)
I found classics a lot different to GCSE history- it's more like English considering the amount of reading involved. It is fun to learn, especially if you're already interested in ancient history, though we don't do much about the myths themselves (I guess it depends on which units your teacher chooses). As for university, I'd say classics would be more highly regarded as less people study it? Hope this helped
thank you that's rlly helpful
anon1401
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya, when I was in 6th form our classics department chose ancient literature modules, so for me it was very similar to English lit GCSE but with a huge number of texts. We studied 8 plays (4 tragedies, 4 comedies), the Odyssey and the Iliad. imo it was more memory-based and less based upon essay skills than English Lit A level. I hadn't studied History or Classical Civilisation at GCSE and I was fine (ended up with an A). If you are really into mythology and like English literature I'd say go for it. The myths are based upon the texts after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed