ollst311
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to do law as a career. Specifically, a merges and acquisitions corporate lawyer. However, after looking at some law degrees they do not contain any types of law that looks really good. So I was wondering whether there were any law degrees that also contained a lot of finance based modules.
ollst311
Rep:
?
Any ideas
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
what do you mean by financial based modules?

i know Bristol has a good amount of commercial and corporate related stuff and Sussex has a laundry list of modules on their website. you have to bear in mind tho that these are optional modules and they also may not be available the year you want to take them depending on availability of teaching and number of students interested. also may not be able to take them if modules clash in your timetable.

tbh tho if you've looked around and the modules of an LLB do not appeal to you then maybe it isn't the best degree choice for you. all qualifying LLBs contain the same core modules (criminal, land, public, etc); you will never escape them and they will take up most of your degree so it may be a miserable three years of your life. have you looked into a degree in law and business or in finance? i don't know much about those but perhaps you need to google around some more.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doing an llb and can do options in company law/ competition law but not really M&a as that is more the accounting side. On masters you can probably pick it.
ollst311
Rep:
?
I am really interested in a finance degree and it looks amazing but it is not a qualifying law degree. Which is what you need to be a corporate lawyer. There is a GDL but it costs extra money and I would still be miserable for that year
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ollst311)
I am really interested in a finance degree and it looks amazing but it is not a qualifying law degree. Which is what you need to be a corporate lawyer. There is a GDL but it costs extra money and I would still be miserable for that year
you don't need a qualifying law degree to be a corporate solicitor and you won't be taking the GDL the route to how to qualify as a solicitor is changing with the SQE exams which means same route/same money whether you do LLB or non-law (unless you've already started the path to qualifications with a qualifying law degree in which case you can still do the LPC, but you haven't yet, right?).

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...of%20the%20SQE

it's probably worth googling around some firms tho to see what qualifications those solicitors have, bearing in mind correlation =/= causation.
ollst311
Rep:
?
OK will do
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your shortest and cheapest route to qualification into that area of law is taking a law degree at the best university you can possibly manage and doing vacation schemes with law firms in holidays during your degree and thus finding a firma nd training contract well before you graduate. The firm will then pay for any course they want you to take to pass the SQE I exam (which hopefully you could do the summer you graduate) and for the SQEII year.
legalhelp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to do law as a career. Specifically, a merges and acquisitions corporate lawyer. However, after looking at some law degrees they do not contain any types of law that looks really good. So I was wondering whether there were any law degrees that also contained a lot of finance based modules.
I don’t ask this to be facetious, so please don’t take this the wrong way. But why do you think you want to be a lawyer? If you are not super interested in the legal side of M&A work, is there a reason you’re not looking into a career in investment banking rather than law? I’m not sure what it is that attracts you to M&A in particular, but you don’t need to be a lawyer to do that kind of work. If no undergraduate or GDL law modules appeal to you and you want to focus on the finance side, then IB may well be a better fit.
ollst311
Rep:
?
To be honest I don't really know either. My parents said I would be really good as one. So then I looked into each type of law and thought M&A looked really interesting. And so the M&A looked great but I thought of it as being to similar to programs such as suits, however in reality it's not. So Im not really sure whether I like law or actually much prefer finance. Which was my original career option because it looks great. I would like to be an FP&A analyst
ollst311
Rep:
?
Do you think I should do FP&A???
legalhelp
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think I should do FP&A???
I can’t answer that question for you. But I don’t think you should do a law degree just because a) your parents think you should, or b) you think your subsequent legal career will be like Suits!
ollst311
Rep:
?
Ok
Hassan116
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be honest I don't really know either. My parents said I would be really good as one. So then I looked into each type of law and thought M&A looked really interesting. And so the M&A looked great but I thought of it as being to similar to programs such as suits, however in reality it's not. So Im not really sure whether I like law or actually much prefer finance. Which was my original career option because it looks great. I would like to be an FP&A analyst
I recommend you do a degree in finance because doing a degree in something you don’t seem interested in is not going to end well. But while you’re at university you can apply to internships, schemes, etc at law firms and see if it’s something you’d want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed