Why doesn't the concentration have an effect on the equilibrium constant?

Watch
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

So we were learning about Kc today and my teacher mentioned that concentration has no effect on Kc as a fact we just need to know, but I don't particularly understand why it doesn't have an effect.

Spoiler:
Show

I did ask my teacher and the internet but my question wasn't really answered - she did mention that Kc takes into account concentration but not temperature :confused:
John Wick11
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only thing that changes the constant is temperature, otherwise it wouldn’t be a constant. :confused:
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Wick11)
The only thing that changes the constant is temperature, otherwise it wouldn’t be a constant. :confused:
Yes, I know that - I just don't understand why
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Yes, I know that - I just don't understand why
The equilibrium is attained when the rate of the forward reaction equals the rate of the reverse reaction. At this point the concentrations of the components cannot change.

Forward rate = reverse rate
Concentrations unchanging

If you artificially add some more reactant, the rate of the forward reaction must increase, but the rate of the reverse reaction will not change. Hence the forward reaction moves more to the RHS until equilibrium is re-established.

Rate is a function of concentration. So is you change concentration you change rate.

But the rate constant shows the relative concentrations when rate forward = rate back.

This can only happen at one particular concentration ratio, i.e. the equilibrium constant.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
The equilibrium is attained when the rate of the forward reaction equals the rate of the reverse reaction. At this point the concentrations of the components cannot change.

Forward rate = reverse rate
Concentrations unchanging

If you artificially add some more reactant, the rate of the forward reaction must increase, but the rate of the reverse reaction will not change. Hence the forward reaction moves more to the RHS until equilibrium is re-established.

Rate is a function of concentration. So is you change concentration you change rate.

But the rate constant shows the relative concentrations when rate forward = rate back.

This can only happen at one particular concentration ratio, i.e. the equilibrium constant.
Thank you that makes a bit more sense now!

I do still have one question though: if you change the concentrations artificially will the relative concentrations not change too?
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try google for Le Chataliers Principle
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Wick11)
Try google for Le Chataliers Principle
I have - but Le Chatelier's principle discusses the position of equilibrium not the equilibrium constant.
John Wick11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes and the position of equilibrium has to change in order to keep Kc, the equilibrium constant, constant
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you that makes a bit more sense now!

I do still have one question though: if you change the concentrations artificially will the relative concentrations not change too?
Temporarily, but then the system is not at equilibrium and responds to restore the equilibrium condition.
Think about it. If you add more of the left hand side, the forward reaction is now faster than the reverse reaction.
So, the system moves back towards equilibrium by making more of the right hand side and less of the left hand side.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Temporarily, but then the system is not at equilibrium and responds to restore the equilibrium condition.
Think about it. If you add more of the left hand side, the forward reaction is now faster than the reverse reaction.
So, the system moves back towards equilibrium by making more of the right hand side and less of the left hand side.
oh okay, thank you! So the reason the equilibrium position moves is to maintain the equilibrium constant (which is the comparision of the concentration of the products over the concentration of the reactants)?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh okay, thank you! So the reason the equilibrium position moves is to maintain the equilibrium constant (which is the comparision of the concentration of the products over the concentration of the reactants)?
Yes. There is only one ratio of products to reactants at which the rate forward = rate backwards.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yes. There is only one ratio of products to reactants at which the rate forward = rate backwards.
thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (112)
51.61%
No (105)
48.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise