Now answered, thanks everyone for the replies
Last edited by Rainbowpink1999x; 1 month ago
MiracleLeaf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rainbowpink1999x)
Hi, I have an assignment set, and I'm really stuck on one of the questions.
It is the following: Define the term pathogen and classify the different types of pathogens that can cause infectious disease.
I am really struggling on what to write, for the definition of a pathogen i have said that it is a microorganism which causes disease.
However I am confused on the classification part, what does this actually mean?
I would see ‘classify’ as meaning categorise, so name the different types of pathogens
EssayDistinct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Simple... Define what a pathogen and list which microbial groups have pathogenic potentiality
Rainbowpink1999x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MiracleLeaf)
I would see ‘classify’ as meaning categorise, so name the different types of pathogens
Thanks for the response, so as in bacteria, viruses etc?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This isn't my field, but I can see something about Pathogens on BBC Bitesize. Does that help?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guide...ng8/revision/1
Native089
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rainbowpink1999x)
Thanks for the response, so as in bacteria, viruses etc?
this is correct, include fungi.
Jabuticaba
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Native089)
this is correct, include fungi.
I believe protoctistae can also be pathogens. Malaria is caused by the Plasmodium protist if I can recall correctly.
Rainbowpink1999x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanka for all the replies everyone! thats all things I have included so good to be reassured i was doing the right thing.
Native089
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jabuticaba)
I believe protoctistae can also be pathogens. Malaria is caused by the Plasmodium protist if I can recall correctly.
Absolutely, I agree with you. I presumed this was GCSE work, in which usually the three main answers are as listed.

But for certain, if I am wrong, protoctistae can be pathogens.
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whilst most pathogens are microscopic, there's also multicellular parasitic worms (helminths) that can cause disease, with some species visible to the naked eye.

I'd simply state a pathogen as a disease causing organism; or as an organism with the potential to cause disease.

There are 5 main categories you should be aware of and mention: Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi, Protozoan Parasites, Helminths (parasitic worms). I don't know what level this is, however that should be enough coverage for any level below university. If you want to show off, you can discuss less common pathogen types such as prions, satellite viruses and viriods (specific to flowering plants).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (459)
51.34%
No (435)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed