TP9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in my mid 40 s and considering a career change to qualify as an educational psychologist. As I have limited knowledge in this area could you please advise if :
1. a conversion course at any uni would be accepted as eligible entry to a psy ed doctorate? ( thinking of middlesex uni as its close to where I live)
2. Any particular modules that i should look for, that would help me get in to a doctorate for educational psychologist?
3.What can I do to increase my chances of acceptance in to a doctorate programme ?
4. Could mid 40's be considered too mature to be accepted in to a educational psychologist doctorate course?
thank you for any and all responses!
HearMeRoar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! You are never too old for a career change, don't let your age stop you from pursuing your dreams!
If you want to be an educational psychologist then a conversion degree in Psychology is a good initial step to achieving your goal!

A typical route to becoming an Ed Psych is this:
1. Your undergraduate degree must meet the standards for accreditation by the British Psychological Society (assuming you live in the UK and want to work here) - graduating with a 2:1 or higher enables you to apply for a graduate basis for chartered membership of the BPS.
2. Most students then choose to complete a Masters (especially if their first degree is not accredited or higher than a 2:1) or gain relevant experience working with children in educational, childcare or community settings.
3. You will then need to complete a 3 year Taught Doctorate in Educational Psychology to gain eligibility to apply for registration with the HPC (Health Professions Council) to become a Chartered Educational Psychologist (this means you will be able to practise as an Ed Psych)

However, as you are effectively bypassing the undergraduate degree (step 1) and applying directly for a Psychology conversion course you just need to ensure this course is accredited by the BPS and has the opportunity for chartered membership. Following this you must ensure you have relevant work experience in an educational setting (I think the minimum requirement is at least 12 months full-time) to apply for the Doctorate. An overwhelming number of applicants to the Taught Doctorate in Educational Psychology have direct teaching experience, so this would be advantageous, but it is by no means necessary.
TP9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi thank you for your response. I have been leading a youth group in a community setting but hope to switch to a school attendence officer working towards a welfare or SEN responsibilities to get around 2-3 years in educational setting.
Would this qualify as relevant educational setting work?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (115)
52.27%
No (105)
47.73%

Watched Threads