Novel citation help in essay

Watch
Beccae53
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi. I was wondering if anybody could help me citing novels in my essay. Do I need to cite straight after the title, so for example 'The Hunger Games' (Collins, 2008). Or do I do it at the end? Also if I include a quote and I do cite straight after the title would I just put the page number in brackets after the quote?Thanks the help
student2022
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Beccae53)
Hi. I was wondering if anybody could help me citing novels in my essay. Do I need to cite straight after the title, so for example 'The Hunger Games' (Collins, 2008). Or do I do it at the end? Also if I include a quote and I do cite straight after the title would I just put the page number in brackets after the quote?Thanks the help
Hi! If you are using MHRA referencing, which is standard for English Literature, you can quote the book in a footnote at the end of the line. The first time you reference the novel you will need to do a longer reference: e.g. Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games, edited/published by:xxx, 2008, p.p xxx - xxx.
Beccae53
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by student2022)
Hi! If you are using MHRA referencing, which is standard for English Literature, you can quote the book in a footnote at the end of the line. The first time you reference the novel you will need to do a longer reference: e.g. Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games, edited/published by:xxx, 2008, p.p xxx - xxx.
Unfortunately its not for English. It's a business essay but one of our sources is a novel. But thanks for the suggestion
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Beccae53)
To cite, you'd put (Author, Year) after any paraphrased information from it, or (Author, Year, p.??) straight after a direct quote.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (360)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads