hilunabug9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am interested in joining one of them. In the Army Cadet Force, do you also get to ride planes, do gliding along with Navy Cadet focused activities?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hilunabug9)
I am interested in joining one of them. In the Army Cadet Force, do you also get to ride planes, do gliding along with Navy Cadet focused activities?
Best thing to do is, when they start again, go visit each of your nearest.

While there are core activities that each cadet force offers, every unit has a slightly different focus because of the staff they have. You won't know what you're in store for until you go have a look.

Yes, there's crossover between them all, but each one will, understandably, focus far more on its parent service.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How old are you and in which area of the country do you live?
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
How old are you and in which area of the country do you live?
London!
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Best thing to do is, when they start again, go visit each of your nearest.

While there are core activities that each cadet force offers, every unit has a slightly different focus because of the staff they have. You won't know what you're in store for until you go have a look.

Yes, there's crossover between them all, but each one will, understandably, focus far more on its parent service.
Okie thank you!
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
London!
And how old are you?
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i was in the raf air cadets for two years and we had the opportunity to do pretty much everything the army cadets could, with less opportunity for firearms training and less intensive exercise drills (though we had plenty of those).

in air cadets, we spent most of the time learning about the history of the raf (though i imagine this is similar to the army cadets), but we also had the opportunity to fire planes, train with firearms, attend marches etc.

my knowledge of the navy cadets are pretty limited, but as far as i can tell, if you live in london, there are only a few bases, all around central london and they all focus on sailing or boating etc.

look into the cadet forces though, because it's a lot of time out of the week to spend on an extra curricular activity, and visit when you can perhaps.
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
And how old are you?
Why?
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
(Original post by etohin)
i was in the raf air cadets for two years and we had the opportunity to do pretty much everything the army cadets could, with less opportunity for firearms training and less intensive exercise drills (though we had plenty of those).

in air cadets, we spent most of the time learning about the history of the raf (though i imagine this is similar to the army cadets), but we also had the opportunity to fire planes, train with firearms, attend marches etc.

my knowledge of the navy cadets are pretty limited, but as far as i Tcan tell, if you live in london, there are only a few bases, all around central london and they all focus on sailing or boating etc.

look into the cadet forces though, because it's a lot of time out of the week to spend on an extra curricular activity, and visit when you can perhaps.
Thank you for the response! Also, in the RAF cadets how is the focus on fieldcraft in your experience?
etohin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the response! Also, in the RAF cadets how is the focus on fieldcraft in your experience?
in my experience, not that great; we didn't have many chances for it in my squadron. but that could possibly have been because we were one of the poorer squadrons in london (do not recommend).

we did basic survival skills and first aid & there were plenty of opportunities open to hone more skills. unfortunately, we could not often get places on these because the squadron couldn't afford it.

moral of the story; make sure you go to a well-funded one!
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
in my experience, not that great; we didn't have many chances for it in my squadron. but that could possibly have been because we were one of the poorer squadrons in london (do not recommend).

we did basic survival skills and first aid & there were plenty of opportunities open to hone more skills. unfortunately, we could not often get places on these because the squadron couldn't afford it.

moral of the story; make sure you go to a well-funded one!
Have you heard of any air or water based activities in the Army Cadet Force maybe, and did you enjoy and have fun in the RAF Air Cadets?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why?
Because the information I would give to someone looking for opportunities of this kind in the London area would differ depending on the age of the person asking.

If you said that you were 14, I would suggest one option. If you said that you were 16, I would suggest another. If you said that you were 18 and starting at University in the autumn, I would suggest a further option.

There's no point in assuming that you are 16 and suggesting something, only for you to reply that you are only 14, for instance.

That's why.
etohin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you heard of any air or water based activities in the Army Cadet Force maybe, and did you enjoy and have fun in the RAF Air Cadets?
i have but i think that those opportunities are very few and far between. i enjoyed it, but eventually as i entered year 12 it just became too much to handle on top of my a levels. i also wasn't great friends with many in that squadron, so i think that that contributed to my enjoyment of it. most of the activities were pretty fun: on one night every week we would spend the whole night playing games or doing drills or preparing for an upcoming event, while the other night we would do theory on aeroplanes or learn about the history of the squadron and things like.
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
Because the information I would give to someone looking for opportunities of this kind in the London area would differ depending on the age of the person asking.

If you said that you were 14, I would suggest one option. If you said that you were 16, I would suggest another. If you said that you were 18 and starting at University in the autumn, I would suggest a further option.

There's no point in assuming that you are 16 and suggesting something, only for you to reply that you are only 14, for instance.

That's why.
Ah okay 13.
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
i have but i think that those opportunities are very few and far between. i enjoyed it, but eventually as i entered year 12 it just became too much to handle on top of my a levels. i also wasn't great friends with many in that squadron, so i think that that contributed to my enjoyment of it. most of the activities were pretty fun: on one night every week we would spend the whole night playing games or doing drills or preparing for an upcoming event, while the other night we would do theory on aeroplanes or learn about the history of the squadron and things like.
That sounds interesting, what made you decide to choose the RAF Air Cadets if you would like to say?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah okay 13.
In that case, you would love the Sea Cadets!

More information here:

https://www.sea-cadets.org/what-we-do
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 month ago
etohin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That sounds interesting, what made you decide to choose the RAF Air Cadets if you would like to say?
it was really just cos my friend suggested we go together - i have no idea how she heard about it though.
roscpctals673
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It all depends on what you like! I’m currently waiting to get into ACF. What I would recommend, since detachments are currently closed in London, is looking through each sites for the activities and judge which seems more based to your liking. They’re all very informative if you dig deep enough. I realise this was posted a few days ago, so have you found anything yet?
hilunabug9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In that case, you would love the Sea Cadets!

More information here:

https://www.sea-cadets.org/what-we-do
Sorry for the late reply - thank you, I checked it out and it looks really interesting!
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You kind of need to think about what you want to do. The focuses are:

Army Cadets: Fieldcraft, Shooting, outdoor type stuff
Air Cadets: Aircraft type stuff, flying, a bit more emphasis on ceremonial
Sea Cadets: Boat based stuff

Now, some people will say "X do everything Y do and more" but that is misleading. Each of them will devote a lot of time to their speciality and it just isn't possible for one group to do everything another does and more as there are only so many hours in the day. If you join a cadet force expecting that to happen, you will be disappointed. You may get the chance to fly in an aircraft with Army Cadets but it would probably be once in your whole time there, if at all. As for Navy stuff, I can gaurantee the opportunity to go kayaking but not more than that. If you want to fly in planes and go gliding, you need to join the ATC. If you want to sail boats, go and do Navy things, you need to join the Sea Cadets. If you want to fire rifles of fieldcraft exercises, camp in woods, fighting in built up areas, you need to join the Army Cadets.

That said, the standards of the local units does vary, so you may want to see how well they are run before committing.

All of them will do things like drill, first aid, navigation, DofE

I'm in charge of recruiting for my ACF county so I can answer pretty much any question on Army Cadets you may have.
Last edited by Talon; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (597)
49.18%
No (617)
50.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise