Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is BBB equivalent to A*CC.
I think they are the same ucas points
econ.person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are the same UCAS points. However, they aren't entirely equivalent in terms of university admission.

For example, you may receive an offer for university admission conditional on receiving BBC. Assuming you achieve BBB, you will get in. However, if you achieve A*CC on results day, you will likely have to plead your case to the university as technically you didn't meet their requirements in all three subjects. If they are already overcapacity, they won't let you in. I can provide anecdotal evidence of this happening to a few of my friends.

But the opposite could happen, though less likely. For example, you may want to study Mathematics at university, and a particular university has given you a conditional offer of achieving ABB with an A in Maths. This shows they care the most about your Maths A level, and let's say your other subjects are essay-based, which they care less about. Also, let's assume you've not met these requirements. If you then compare BBB (which means a B in maths) and A*CC (with an A* in maths), the university is likely to prefer the latter, as they'll mainly care about your mathematical abilities and not your essay subjects. Thus A*CC will be more likely to get you in even though you missed the requirement.

I may have read too much into the question but I hope this helps!
Last edited by econ.person; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not necessarily. An entry requirement of BBB may be set and interpreted by universities to mean "3 A-levels with no grade lower than a B", for example. Generally you can't assume universities will "average" grades, one way or another. The only situation where this occurs in any capacity is if the university in question makes offers on the basis of UCAS points (which not all universities do). Only in that case can you be certain they will both meet the same entry requirement of a course. Of course they may still consider someone with A*CC for a BBB course on results day as a near miss applicant, but it's at their discretion whether to admit the student then.
econ.person
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not necessarily. An entry requirement of BBB may be set and interpreted by universities to mean "3 A-levels with no grade lower than a B", for example. Generally you can't assume universities will "average" grades, one way or another. The only situation where this occurs in any capacity is if the university in question makes offers on the basis of UCAS points (which not all universities do). Only in that case can you be certain they will both meet the same entry requirement of a course. Of course they may still consider someone with A*CC for a BBB course on results day as a near miss applicant, but it's at their discretion whether to admit the student then.
Sums things up better than I did! If you are applying to university next year, you should email each university asking for clarification if it isn't already explicitly clear whether they use UCAS points or not for the specific course.
Tregi11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I received this

The offer is BBB in any three A levels, so your result in A level in Modern language will be taken into account. We will also accept combination of results equivalent to BBB for example ABC.
I already achieved A*. So does this mean A*CC is an equivalent as well
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tregi11)
I received this

The offer is BBB in any three A levels, so your result in A level in Modern language will be taken into account. We will also accept combination of results equivalent to BBB for example ABC.
I would assume so. They seem desperate if they allow that.
econ.person
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tregi11)
I received this

Yes it seems so. You should’ve put this information in your original question. People do make effort when replying so the more info, the easier it is to tailor an answer.

Anyway, if they try to say otherwise, just forward their own email back to them once you get the results to your other two A-levels.

If you’re applying after having already achieved A*CC, then they may reject you for some “other reason” if they don’t like your grades. Meeting grade requirements doesn’t guarantee an offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads