The Student Room Group

Choosing a Uni

How much does the "prestige" of the university matter when making a choice?
Not really. Of course you have the classic Oxbridge, but it really depends on the course as some unis have a good rep in a particular subject.
Physics is good at Lancaster. Its highly regarded, but isnt Oxbridge, nor is it a Russell group.
You can't 'measure' it, and no-one is very clear on what it is or how you spot it.

And, aside from top London Law firms and city Merchant Banks, main stream employers are not that fussed where you went to University - what they want to see is that you did your degree at a Uni they have heard of, got a 2i or First, have some relevant work experience, and did more interesting things at Uni than just study.

This is something that only school-leavers obsess about - 'my University is better than your University - and its all a bit silly really.
Reply 3
Basically, I've been offered a place at Exeter, and whilst it looks great, I really like the course at Brighton too. I'm not set on either, but I've seen on the rankings and stuff that Exeter is far higher up for my course (Philosophy and Politics). This information is good to know, thankyou.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending