Studying Japanese at University

Watch this thread
thehollowman
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, lately I've been looking at applying to University to study Japanese but I don't have a GCSE or A-Level in languages. My school didn't offer us a language as an option and I chose to study for a Music Technology BTEC at College. Would I still be able to get on a course with these?

Thanks in advance!
ad4155
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely no problem. Most, if not all universities, do not expect any prior study of Japanese before beginning their course. Some may require a language qualification (GCSE or A-Level), but this is usually rare. A few of my course mates had never studied a language before.
Harlandiaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thehollowman)
Hi, lately I've been looking at applying to University to study Japanese but I don't have a GCSE or A-Level in languages. My school didn't offer us a language as an option and I chose to study for a Music Technology BTEC at College. Would I still be able to get on a course with these?

Thanks in advance!
Hiya!

I haven't started yet but I got confirmed on a place at UCLan to do Japanese - I don't have any language GCSEs or a-levels either in a language and I only got 2 A-levels in maths and geography last year! I did an EPQ as well but even that was unrelated to Japanese. I'd say it depends on which uni you'd like to go to specifically? but honestly, if you can talk in your personal statement about your interest in Japan and Japanese I think you'd be fine

I did do night classes at Southampton Uni for Japanese for about a year and a half before covid so I think that kinda helped, but I think you could still say about language and culture self-study you've done
Beccaasxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Harlandiaa)
Hiya!

I haven't started yet but I got confirmed on a place at UCLan to do Japanese - I don't have any language GCSEs or a-levels either in a language and I only got 2 A-levels in maths and geography last year! I did an EPQ as well but even that was unrelated to Japanese. I'd say it depends on which uni you'd like to go to specifically? but honestly, if you can talk in your personal statement about your interest in Japan and Japanese I think you'd be fine

I did do night classes at Southampton Uni for Japanese for about a year and a half before covid so I think that kinda helped, but I think you could still say about language and culture self-study you've done
I’ve been given a place at uclan to study japanese too! Where else have you applied?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Thanks in advance!
When would you like to start reading Japanese at University? I wasn't sure whether you were applying for this year.
Harlandiaa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beccaasxo)
I’ve been given a place at uclan to study japanese too! Where else have you applied?
ahahaha literally just uclan - york st john looked a bit meh and birkbeck was a bit too complicated/expensive for me xd

do you think you'll firm uclan? also was the offer for asia pacific? or one of the other options hehe
Beccaasxo
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Thanks in advance!
I’ve had two offers so far and have no Japanese or language experience. I take biology, chemistry and art. However my epq is related to japan. Just write how much Japanese interests you in your personal statement and you will be fine!
Beccaasxo
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Harlandiaa)
ahahaha literally just uclan - york st john looked a bit meh and birkbeck was a bit too complicated/expensive for me xd

do you think you'll firm uclan? also was the offer for asia pacific? or one of the other options hehe
I think Asia Pacific studies but I can’t remember haha. I didn’t even know York did it, and birbeck is a night school. Oxford brookes is good, and has low entry requirements which is why I applied there as well. I’m waiting for offers off my other unis but if I don’t get any more then uclan will be my firm!
thehollowman
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Kerzen)
When would you like to start reading Japanese at University? I wasn't sure whether you were applying for this year.
Yeah, I've put my applications thought for SOAS and Uni Of Sheffield for this year
Harlandiaa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beccaasxo)
I think Asia Pacific studies but I can’t remember haha. I didn’t even know York did it, and birbeck is a night school. Oxford brookes is good, and has low entry requirements which is why I applied there as well. I’m waiting for offers off my other unis but if I don’t get any more then uclan will be my firm!
ahhh yeah oxford would also be expensiveeeeee
kaagyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I'm a final year Japanese and TESOL student at YSJ. The main perk of it here is that its a 3 year degree whereas most other places only do it as 4 (and literally everyone on my course got an unconditional, so if you want a good insurance option YSJ is a good bet!) If you have any questions about YSJ or just Japanese in general feel free to PM me, I don't use this very often at all but I'll do my best to reply quickly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (226)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.69%

Watched Threads