quickquestion805
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
if my reference isn't too great (as in sort of basic and cliché) how much of a disadvantage would this put me in?
quickquestion805
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
bump
RebeccaB_x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Replying because I need to know haha. But OP, I can’t see how they’d use the writing style etc against you - you didn’t write it! I suppose it depends how much other evidence they have, in your PS, any interviews / admissions tests. But don’t quote me on that!
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
not much tbh - it will depend on the uni but they all know that references are all going to be cliched and UCAS literally says they have to be positive, so they don't pay much attention unless it raises an issue or talks about extenuating circumstances
ohemaax
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't think references matter as much, i'm sure it's all positive. I would say it comes down to your personal statement and grades.
mxrthxhmoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeh, i think as long as it isn't negative then it is fine, schools/colleges want us to go to good unis so they'll write it to do this. I was worried about this bc i'm not particularly outgoing so my teachers don't really know me but I have now got 4 offers, waiting for a response from my 5th
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quickquestion805)
if my reference isn't too great (as in sort of basic and cliché) how much of a disadvantage would this put me in?
No disadvantage really. It’s the least important part of an undergraduate application. So long it’s clear how they know you and is broadly positive you’ll be fine.

Many references are based off of templates or are otherwise brief and to the point. It can’t really be held against the applicant as they have no control over how it is written.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.18%
No (618)
50.82%

Watched Threads