The Student Room Group

Help me make some university decisions please?!!

I have incredibly got all 5 offers from my choices on UCAS, so I need to start thinking about making a decision, however it looks increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to visit them before the deadline. My offers are Heriot-Watt (unconditional) Uni of Sheffield (AAB) Uni of Birmingham (AAB) Uni of Southampton(AAA) and Uni of Bristol(A*A*A).My course is mathematics with a year abroad, and I have honestly no idea which uni i prefer so any input from anyone with any knowledge of these places/unis would be greatly appreciated please!
Congrats on your offers!!! What do you think you can achieve in June? (Or be assessed to get)
Reply 2
Original post by wizkid44
Congrats on your offers!!! What do you think you can achieve in June? (Or be assessed to get)

Thank you! My predicted grades for ucas were A*A*A, I think I'd realistically aim for A*AA, but it's likely that I'd get into Bristol even with one lower grade so really entry requirements aren't too important I just need to pick a favourite
Bristol as Firm choice. Southampton as Insurance.

Both good STEM Unis with solid Maths Depts. Both interesting cities, with a lots to do.
Hi, I applied for maths at Birmingham, Heriot-Watt, Lancaster and Nottingham and I have firmed Birmingham and insured Heriot-Watt. Not much insight but I firmed Birmingham because I really liked the sound of the Maths in industry modules and it was rated 5th for Maths by the Guardian. I insured Heriot-Watt because it was my only lower offer but I do like the look of the campus from images I have seen. Bristol does have a good reputation though.
If you are concerned that you dont know what these Universities look like or 'feel' like, then look at Campus Tours and previous Open Day films on YouTube, and look at the tourist films for each city.
Original post by MattyM7373
I have incredibly got all 5 offers from my choices on UCAS, so I need to start thinking about making a decision, however it looks increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to visit them before the deadline. My offers are Heriot-Watt (unconditional) Uni of Sheffield (AAB) Uni of Birmingham (AAB) Uni of Southampton(AAA) and Uni of Bristol(A*A*A).My course is mathematics with a year abroad, and I have honestly no idea which uni i prefer so any input from anyone with any knowledge of these places/unis would be greatly appreciated please!

I would firm Bristol and put Birmingham or Sheffield down as insurance! It makes sense to have lower conditions for your insurance (as long as your heart isn't set on Southampton) so that you don't have to deal with clearing if things do go a little bit wrong! Bristol is the best uni and city of the lot imo but I have no real basis for this, just my opinion. :smile: Honestly if you can get the grades it makes sense to go for a RG so that you have the name brand if you decide to go into a random grad-scheme / career outside of maths.
Reply 7
Original post by anon1401
I would firm Bristol and put Birmingham or Sheffield down as insurance! It makes sense to have lower conditions for your insurance (as long as your heart isn't set on Southampton) so that you don't have to deal with clearing if things do go a little bit wrong! Bristol is the best uni and city of the lot imo but I have no real basis for this, just my opinion. :smile: Honestly if you can get the grades it makes sense to go for a RG so that you have the name brand if you decide to go into a random grad-scheme / career outside of maths.

Thanks for the reply! My heart isn't set on any of them to be honest, and all except heriot-watt are RG but Bristol does seem to have the best reputation which is probably why its so high entry requirements even though its not particulary high in the league tables. Bristol does have the best year abroad in Paris and a new maths building so I think it is my number 1 at the moment.
Hi @MattyM7373,

Congratulations on receiving so many offers! This is an incredible achievement :biggrin: I remember finding it really difficult to decide on my firm and insurance choices, so I can definitely relate to how you're feeling.

Personally, I'd recommend first checking which universities have courses you'd prefer. For example, do some of your choices have specific modules or opportunities that you really like the sound of? Particularly as you're planning on doing a year abroad, it's important that you like the destinations offered by the university. You can read the course page, including module lists and details of the year abroad for Sheffield Uni here. You can also read more about taking a year abroad here.

Secondly, I'd be looking into aspects outside your course, such as what the university and town/city offers. When thinking about Sheffield, we are city-campus university, offering something in-between the two types of university. The buildings are really close together in the same area, but you're still integrated into the urban landscape and only a 10 minute walk from the city centre. There's some great video tours of campus and the city on our website, which are great for getting a feel of what being in Sheffield is like from current students.

One of the big things I really enjoyed about Sheffield is the Students' Union, which is the number 1 SU in the country. There's over 350 clubs and societies to choose from, alongside loads of facilities including our own nightclub with weekly club nights (My favourite is Pop Tarts on a Saturday!) and a student run cinema with tickets to the latest blockbusters for only £3.

The university accommodation is also really nice too, with every room modern or recently refurbished to a high standard. The Endcliffe and Ranmoor student villages are really sociable too; I was only a few minutes from my course mates and it's easy to meet up in the communal areas on offer (including a free to use fitness suite). I'd recommend checking out the 360 degree tours of accommodation to get a feel for what it's like.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about studying at Sheffield. I'm sure our student ambassadors @University of Sheffield Students will have plenty to add about what they love doing in Sheffield. You can also chat to current students via the Chat to Us pages, including current Maths students Laura and Helena Maria.

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics

Quick Reply

Latest