Mathsssss01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, its my first ever reddit post haha.

Basically I recently thought of a business Idea that after market research found out a similar product already exists in America. I am from Europe and wanted to design a better product for a niche. I have a few questions if anyone can provide some support would be amazing.

1) The product is "Registered" and has the little R above the product. What does this mean in terms of me producing a similar product?
2) Is using their idea but making it better a good idea, or is it not worth it?

Thank you guys!
Advertisement
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Without knowing exactly what the product is its hard to say.. is this a service, software, piece of tech etc? Also, probably best to consult a trademark lawyer on this, but if memory serves theres usually a discrepancy between the laws of various countries so simply registering something in America doesnt necessarily mean its protected in Britain (or wherever) as well. Then again, i could be talking out of my ass so you'd do best to speak to an expert on the matter - something you're unlikely to find on tsr im afraid.

As to question two, again, quite possible to say but a rule of thumb is better is always good.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
is it an American product or does it exist in America?

if it's an American product then to protect that product in other countries it would have to be registered in that country as well; a US trademark does not automatically afford protection in another country.

https://www.uspto.gov/ip-policy/ipr-toolkits

are you in Europe? you can search for available trademarks here.

https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/e...h-availability

whether it's a good idea to do this or not i mean is dependent on the quality of the product, the market, your finances, do you need a lawyer, how much effort you're willing to research this stuff on your own. atm it sounds like you have a lot of googling to do, so depends how much stamina you have as starting a business isn't easy, ngl. hope those links provide you with some info tho.

btw as you wish to start a business i moved your thread to the careers forum
Mathsssss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Without knowing exactly what the product is its hard to say.. is this a service, software, piece of tech etc? Also, probably best to consult a trademark lawyer on this, but if memory serves theres usually a discrepancy between the laws of various countries so simply registering something in America doesnt necessarily mean its protected in Britain (or wherever) as well. Then again, i could be talking out of my ass so you'd do best to speak to an expert on the matter - something you're unlikely to find on tsr im afraid.

As to question two, again, quite possible to say but a rule of thumb is better is always good.
It's a physical usable product that can be used in a day to day life scenario
Mathsssss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
is it an American product or does it exist in America?

if it's an American product then to protect that product in other countries it would have to be registered in that country as well; a US trademark does not automatically afford protection in another country.

https://www.uspto.gov/ip-policy/ipr-toolkits

are you in Europe? you can search for available trademarks here.

https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/e...h-availability

whether it's a good idea to do this or not i mean is dependent on the quality of the product, the market, your finances, do you need a lawyer, how much effort you're willing to research this stuff on your own. atm it sounds like you have a lot of googling to do, so depends how much stamina you have as starting a business isn't easy, ngl. hope those links provide you with some info tho.

btw as you wish to start a business i moved your thread to the careers forum
Yeah, it exists in America. I am from the UK.

Thanks for the info, i am only 21, and i have never/do not how to start/run a business, so any ideas on like a checklist/Book that you reccomend would be amazing.
Advertisement
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Show us a photo of it
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mathsssss01)
It's a physical usable product that can be used in a day to day life scenario
Not particularly helpful as far as descriptions go...
either way, as i said, you'd do better checking with a trademark attorney on the matter.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed