The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield Accommodation

I'm heading to Sheffield Sept 2021 to study journalism and I was wondering where would be better to live as a fresher. While I want the social/party life I'm also thinking practically in terms of staying closer to the uni and shops etc...
Can anyone help?
Reply 1
Hey! I’m in my final year at Sheffield and maybe I’m biased but I would recommend endcliffe/ranmoor over the city accommodation. From what I’ve heard it’s much more sociable with more going on and a real ‘student village’ feel to it. I wouldn’t worry too much about being close to shops etc as you’d walk past them on your way back from uni anyway and there’s a small shop in endcliffe anyway. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions😊
(Kind of assumed you meant Uni of, not too sure about Hallam accommodation)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hey There,

Great to hear that you're thinking of coming to sheffield to study journalism.

I don't go to Sheffield Uni but I'm a sixth former who lives in the city. I'd recommend the Endcliffe-Ranmoor accommodation. Its a much more social area than the city, always packed with students, great vibe and plenty of shops as well as good transport links if you want to explore the rest of the city.
Hiya im a first year at Uni of Sheffield and I'd deffo say Endcliffe for social life. I'm at Endcliffe and i love it (Despite covid ruining a lot of things hahah). its deffo more social than city and ranmoor which is a little quieter but still good.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya im a first year at Uni of Sheffield and I'd deffo say Endcliffe for social life. I'm at Endcliffe and i love it (Despite covid ruining a lot of things hahah). its deffo more social than city and ranmoor which is a little quieter but still good.

Hiya, thank you so much for replying. So in terms of getting to supermarkets and getting to and back from nights out how would you say that is and like the time it take (just asking as someone who's late for pretty much everything)
Reply 5
Original post by Harriet!
Hey! I’m in my final year at Sheffield and maybe I’m biased but I would recommend endcliffe/ranmoor over the city accommodation. From what I’ve heard it’s much more sociable with more going on and a real ‘student village’ feel to it. I wouldn’t worry too much about being close to shops etc as you’d walk past them on your way back from uni anyway and there’s a small shop in endcliffe anyway. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions😊
(Kind of assumed you meant Uni of, not too sure about Hallam accommodation)

hiya, thank you so much for replying! So in terms of getting to the city centre, closest supermarkets and the bars/clubs in the city how would you say that is.? It's just I want to be fully immersed with the SU and I can imagine I'm gonna need to travel and be quite active with doing journalism. Thanks so much!
Reply 6
Original post by l0uisexox
hiya, thank you so much for replying! So in terms of getting to the city centre, closest supermarkets and the bars/clubs in the city how would you say that is.? It's just I want to be fully immersed with the SU and I can imagine I'm gonna need to travel and be quite active with doing journalism. Thanks so much!

No problem! I mainly walked to/from the uni from Ranmoor which took just under half an hour. There’s a morrisons on route which is about 10 mins from ranmoor (probably similar for endcliffe) so really convenient to do your shopping on your way back from uni.
There’s also a bus that’s pretty cheap that goes from near ranmoor/endcliffe to the uni and into town. We used to get the bus into town for nights out and then mostly walk back provided we weren’t on the other side of town (sounds horrible but there were always so many people walking back together that it was good fun)
I think if you think you’ll want to go back and forth from uni to your flat multiple times a day maybe go for city, but otherwise I’d definitely stick to ranmoor and endcliffe😊 hope that helps!
Original post by l0uisexox
Hiya, thank you so much for replying. So in terms of getting to supermarkets and getting to and back from nights out how would you say that is and like the time it take (just asking as someone who's late for pretty much everything)

There's a morrisons and sainsburys just up the hill from Endcliffe about an 8 min walk which most people go to, its super easy to get to minus the fat hill hahaha. For the few nights out we have had its not too bad everything is quite close, there is the 120 which is only £1 when you get your UCard and that takes you into town, we have also walked to and from places on a night out and it has been completely fine! The 120 takes you straight to the SU in about 12 mins i never walk there but thats just because I'm lazy hahah but it is very easily accessible. Like someone has said, if you are planning to go into city multiple times a day, city accommodation might be best but if not you'll deffo love Endcliffe. I can't really speak for city bc i have never actually been to the accom there but I love Endcliffe and I am so happy that i am there so im sure you will love it too! xxx
Hey everyone!

Just to let you all know, the University Accommodation Team will be hosting an information session on Wednesday the 10th of March 2021, where you'll be able to find out loads more about living in Sheffield. You can find out more about this session on the Sheffield Live web pages, as well as see the schedule of other upcoming sessions

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending