The Student Room Group

signal voltages

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ghostwalker
If you're refering to post #1, asin is the inverse sine function, also known as arcsin, or sin1\sin^{-1}

when rearranging equations and moving sin from one side to the other do i always use the inverse or is there only selected times?
Original post by shaun1702
when rearranging equations and moving sin from one side to the other do i always use the inverse or is there only selected times?

What would you think to do otherwise?
What would you think to do otherwise?

Sorry for the delay, i was thinking that sin/sin =1 not sin/sin-1=1
Sorry for the delay, i was thinking that sin/sin =1 not sin/sin-1=1

Not clear what you mean since there is only one instance of sin involved.

In the instance of this question you have, in effect y=f(x), so you need the inverse function to get x, x = f^(-1) (y)
(edited 3 years ago)
Not clear what you mean since there is only one instance of sin involved.

I mean : EXAMPLE vs/6=sin(2pift-pi/4) when moving the sin to the left hand side, so it would be: sin vs/6 =2pift-pi/4 to do this i divided the rhs by sin and not sin-1.
I mean : EXAMPLE vs/6=sin(2pift-pi/4) when moving the sin to the left hand side, so it would be: sin vs/6 =2pift-pi/4 to do this i divided the rhs by sin and not sin-1.

There are no circumstances where you can do what you did there - just move the sin from the right to the left.

Sin is not a number that is being multiplied by "2pift-pi/4", so you cannot divide by sin.

Sin is a function which takes "2pift-pi/4" as its argument.

It's akin to saying y=f(x). You need to use the inverse function f^-1 and apply that to each side. So, f^-1 (y) = f^-1( f(x)) = x.

And the inverse of the sin function is the asin function.
There are no circumstances where you can do what you did there - just move the sin from the right to the left.

Sin is not a number that is being multiplied by "2pift-pi/4", so you cannot divide by sin.

Sin is a function which takes "2pift-pi/4" as its argument.

It's akin to saying y=f(x). You need to use the inverse function f^-1 and apply that to each side. So, f^-1 (y) = f^-1( f(x)) = x.

And the inverse of the sin function is the asin function.

okay thanks for that.

will you please be able to help with another problem i have which is also on this site. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6941250&p=94073792#post94073792
Reply 27
can you explain this please?why does f= 1e 6?
Original post by Jarrel
can you explain this please?why does f= 1e 6?

1e6 is just notation for 1×1061\times 10^6, which is 1,000,000, or 1M (M for mega, SI abbreviation for a million)
hi, im currently stuck on the same question, could somebody please provide a breakdown of making 't' the subject in this equation?

equation reminder..... Vs = 6sin(2pift - (pi/4))

any help with this will be massively appreciated.
Original post by xangodrums
hi, im currently stuck on the same question, could somebody please provide a breakdown of making 't' the subject in this equation?

equation reminder..... Vs = 6sin(2pift - (pi/4))

any help with this will be massively appreciated.

Fully worked solutions are against the forum rules - see "**Posting Guidelines**"; sticky thread at top of forum.

One method, to get you started: Begin with t; then what steps are required, in order, to get you to Vs? Now reverse the process, start with Vs, then invert the last step, then the next, etc., until you end up with t.

Post further, with working, if you get stuck.
Hi Guys,

I know tis was posted a while back, don't suppose you can show me the actual formula so I can compare with what I've got. I've got the answer but I don't think I've laid out the answer properly
Original post by BartyRB
Hi Guys,

I know tis was posted a while back, don't suppose you can show me the actual formula so I can compare with what I've got. I've got the answer but I don't think I've laid out the answer properly

What did you get?
Reply 33
Hi there I am also struggling with this one.In the reply your method is this..One method, to get you started: Begin with t; then what steps are required, in order, to get you to Vs? Now reverse the process, start with Vs, then invert the last step, then the next, etc., until you end up with t.However the beginning with t makes sense then you said reverse the process start with Vs then invert the last step. do you mean inverse everything from t again? Would you mind making slightly more clear?Cheers!
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, that's correct.
I was going to mention the lack of brackets on both the numerator and denominator in the OP, but decided not to be picky :-). Putting them in is a good habit to get into and checking rad mode .

Original post by t90ark
yes, same now. Must have had parenthesis wrong, or been in degrees or something. Thanks for the spot.

2.08333...10-7 with f?

hi, where in the equation do you include f
Original post by lewis1608
hi, where in the equation do you include f

The equation tells you where the frequency f occurs.

Quick Reply

Latest