The Student Room Group

Academic concern meeting - first year student!!!

Okay so I was meant to get my grade for one of my assignments that I submitted, I clicked on blackboard and this score wasn’t there but there was a little message that said I was going to be invited to an academic concern meeting due to my assignment was similar to another ‘university setup’ and they wanted to speak to me about it...

My turnitin is 23%. I reference everything apart from I think it was two images. There was a template that was given which I obviously used as well to construct my assignment. We also had to analyse and make graphs and obviously I had to make my own so I’m kind of confused on what the problem is. I’m also first year student and my other assignments for other modules were absolutely fine.

I’m just kind of confused and worried because I haven’t been in the situation before this obviously I had coronavirus at the time so I got an extension but wanted to finish it as I had other deadlines so it’s not making any sense to me

If you could give me any advice or any tips, I would highly appreciate it
Reply 1
Any help would be appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I was meant to get my grade for one of my assignments that I submitted, I clicked on blackboard and this score wasn’t there but there was a little message that said I was going to be invited to an academic concern meeting due to my assignment was similar to another ‘university setup’ and they wanted to speak to me about it...

My turnitin is 23%. I reference everything apart from I think it was two images. There was a template that was given which I obviously used as well to construct my assignment. We also had to analyse and make graphs and obviously I had to make my own so I’m kind of confused on what the problem is. I’m also first year student and my other assignments for other modules were absolutely fine.

I’m just kind of confused and worried because I haven’t been in the situation before this obviously I had coronavirus at the time so I got an extension but wanted to finish it as I had other deadlines so it’s not making any sense to me

If you could give me any advice or any tips, I would highly appreciate it

Tough to say, it could be to do with not citing the images used. Are you able to email your lecturer and ask for more information?
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Tough to say, it could be to do with not citing the images used. Are you able to email your lecturer and ask for more information?

I have sent an email to my course leader as well as the module leader for my information regarding the meeting, I highly doubt he’s going to explain anything to me because I think he’s just like that

But the referencing was done for the content and, if it’s to do with the images then obviously it is my fault because I did forget to actually put the references in but that was because I was in a rush to complete it
Original post by Anonymous
I have sent an email to my course leader as well as the module leader for my information regarding the meeting, I highly doubt he’s going to explain anything to me because I think he’s just like that

But the referencing was done for the content and, if it’s to do with the images then obviously it is my fault because I did forget to actually put the references in but that was because I was in a rush to complete it

Failing to cite work that isn't yours is serious and being in a rush unfortunately won't cut it. It's likely they'll wait till the meeting to discuss it with you, but it sounds like you've done what you can for now. I hope the meeting goes well.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
Failing to cite work that isn't yours is serious and being in a rush unfortunately won't cut it. It's likely they'll wait till the meeting to discuss it with you, but it sounds like you've done what you can for now. I hope the meeting goes well.

Yep if it’s to do with images, I completely understand that it is my fault that I didn’t reference the images. But obviously at the time I did have coronavirus so that’s why I had an extension for the assignment. So I couldn’t really focus that time as well as juggle all the other assignments so i guess I gotta wait

Quick Reply

Latest