Self plagiarism used 30 words from old essay

Watch
emmabrown33
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I used the same 30 words ( about half of these were necessary eg words such as in, pressure, cell wall, penicillin but there is a stretch of 10 words in a row that are from the old essay but in a different order ) from an old essay out of 570 words in a new essay, giving me 6% similarity with an old essay I think. Will turnitin pick this up as plagiarism?
Desideri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Turnitin doesn't pick up plagiarism. It picks up similarity.

It's up to the marker if they want to look at the similarity and investigate it for plagiarism. I doubt a 6% score would even get a second glance though, especially when it's mainly just a case of using the same technical vocab.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you allowed edits or resubmissions? You could self-reference just to be on the safe side.
cinammonspici
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lmao its your own essay who cares? you can use your own work as a source of planning or whatever
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cinammonspici)
lmao its your own essay who cares? you can use your own work as a source of planning or whatever
That's not how university works, self-plagiarism is still plagiarism and can carry pretty hefty consequences.
So yeah, I'm sure OP would care.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emmabrown33)
I used the same 30 words ( about half of these were necessary eg words such as in, pressure, cell wall, penicillin but there is a stretch of 10 words in a row that are from the old essay but in a different order ) from an old essay out of 570 words in a new essay, giving me 6% similarity with an old essay I think. Will turnitin pick this up as plagiarism?
You'll probably get away with it, especially if its only like 10 words properly transposed; the easier way would have just been to paraphrase and then you could have used the same citation from your first assignment.
dazzlermc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You cannot plagiarise yourself.
AS you are the author. How you use your previous to add to your new work is down to you only.
juststu-dying
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can't technically plagiarize your own work, but I know that my classes are strict on not using work you have used in previous classes. however, idk what that is like for you - if it's that little, it might not be an issue.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by juststu-dying)
you can't technically plagiarize your own work, but I know that my classes are strict on not using work you have used in previous classes. however, idk what that is like for you - if it's that little, it might not be an issue.
Its called self plagiarism.
Its not theft of ideas, but it is still a thing.

Same reason you have to cite your own work in research papers.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cinammonspici)
(Original post by dazzlermc)
You cannot plagiarise yourself.
AS you are the author. How you use your previous to add to your new work is down to you only.
I hope none of you are at university yet... Self-plagiarism is not taken kindly even if it's yourself as opposed to someone else.

emmabrown33 I think you should be fine. I think most people have done this (unintentionally or otherwise). I definitely have, especially surrounding topics that I wrote essays for during both coursework and exams. Using your own words just happens naturally.

I imagine you would be in trouble if the argument and everything was identical and lifted verbatim from your previous essay. However, it doesn't seem like that's the case, so you should be fine. :hat2:
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
juststu-dying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
huh, misunderstood that. but as I did say, we can't use our own past papers in other classes, so I assume that's the same thing as self-plagiarism?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
huh, misunderstood that. but as I did say, we can't use our own past papers in other classes, so I assume that's the same thing as self-plagiarism?
I'm confused. What are you studying and at what level?
juststu-dying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm confused. What are you studying and at what level?
Yeah I wasn't very clear there, at undergrad I've had classes that explicitly stated we're not allowed to use any part (a sentence or anything) of papers we have written for other classes or that class in earlier weeks, or if it's a resit (unless permission is asked/given) since it shows up as plagiarism. Should've realized that was self-plagiarism, but completely slipped my mind. Still not sure how they would deal with the 30 words, I guess that's down to the tutor/lecturer checking.
Last edited by juststu-dying; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.18%
No (618)
50.82%

Watched Threads