Regretting uni choice decision after offers! please help!

Watch
tobster4000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So in November I applied to Leeds, Birmingham, Bath, Durham and Loughborough for Sports Science.
I thought this would be natural progression for me considering I do PE and psychology at a-level. I am also an athlete which I think clouded my judgement of the subject (perhaps seeing it as a safe option). My personal statement came naturally to me and my predicted grades (A*A*A) are well within the grades I need (my most common offer is AAB).

However, in recent weeks the idea of studying sports science has gradually become more unappealing. I think I want to study a more essay-intensive subject because I love writing. I have been struggling to find what subject truly interests me. Currently, i'm thinking of Law, Politics, or something related.

Does anyone know what my options are? Now I have all my offers back I feel trapped into a degree that i'm not 100% sure about. I'm scared to do a gap year because i'll feel like i'm behind on my friends, and I doubt my parents will approve of a gap year
If anyone has any advice on post-deadline applications or negotiating with unis about changing courses i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tobster4000)
So in November I applied to Leeds, Birmingham, Bath, Durham and Loughborough for Sports Science.
I thought this would be natural progression for me considering I do PE and psychology at a-level. I am also an athlete which I think clouded my judgement of the subject (perhaps seeing it as a safe option). My personal statement came naturally to me and my predicted grades (A*A*A) are well within the grades I need (my most common offer is AAB).

However, in recent weeks the idea of studying sports science has gradually become more unappealing. I think I want to study a more essay-intensive subject because I love writing. I have been struggling to find what subject truly interests me. Currently, i'm thinking of Law, Politics, or something related.

Does anyone know what my options are? Now I have all my offers back I feel trapped into a degree that i'm not 100% sure about. I'm scared to do a gap year because i'll feel like i'm behind on my friends, and I doubt my parents will approve of a gap year
If anyone has any advice on post-deadline applications or negotiating with unis about changing courses i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Once you leave school you no longer live in a world of annual, aged-based progression. Just look at your parents - are they in the same 'school year'? Unlikely, but is one parent 'ahead' of the other? Has one 'slipped behind? Do they ever say 'I feel behind Jim at work, he's a year younger than me'? No, of course they don't.

Real friends will stay friends, but chances are you will make a completely new set of friends at Uni, where no-one gives a fig that you took a gap year or two or ten or twenty.

Find something interesting to do in a gap year, get away from your parents and go to Uni in a year's time to do the subject that best fits your strengths and career aspirations.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Take a gap year. Defer your eventual place for Sports Sci, if you need to appease your parents.

Over the summer do some calm, clear thinking.

Research Law or Politics, and find out what those subjects involve and for Law, the application process (LNAT etc).
You would have until January 2022 to make a decision - whether or not to ditch the Sports offer, and what subject to apply for instead. Remember, you can still play sport at University level whatever subject you are doing.

Nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school, and to spend 3 years doing a degree you are not convinced about? Makes sense to wait until you are sure.
tobster4000
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Once you leave school you no longer live in a world of annual, aged-based progression. Just look at your parents - are they in the same 'school year'? Unlikely, but is one parent 'ahead' of the other? Has one 'slipped behind? Do they ever say 'I feel behind Jim at work, he's a year younger than me'? No, of course they don't.

Real friends will stay friends, but chances are you will make a completely new set of friends at Uni, where no-one gives a fig that you took a gap year or two or ten or twenty.

Find something interesting to do in a gap year, get away from your parents and go to Uni in a year's time to do the subject that best fits your strengths and career aspirations.
that's a great point, and something I should've probably thought about. It's difficult for me to rationalise, uni in some ways feels like a race. I probably need to take a step-back and re-evaluate what I want to do. I have a part-time job that earns a decent wage (for a 17 YO), so there's always the plus side of saving up some more money before I go too. Thank you for your advice
tobster4000
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Take a gap year. Defer your eventual place for Sports Sci, if you need to appease your parents.

Over the summer do some calm, clear thinking.

Research Law or Politics, and find out what those subjects involve and for Law, the application process (LNAT etc).
You would have until January 2022 to make a decision - whether or not to ditch the Sports offer, and what subject to apply for instead. Remember, you can still play sport at University level whatever subject you are doing.

Nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school, and to spend 3 years doing a degree you are not convinced about? Makes sense to wait until you are sure.
Can you defer a place for the degree you've received offers for even if you originally intended to go in 2021? Also, i'm presuming you're not binded to the deferral, so you can just cancel and re-apply for a different course for 2022 if you don't want the original deferred offer?
sorry if that doesn't make sense, the deferral process confuses me
owlsweetly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another option to consider would be to have a look at the Law/Politics courses available at some of your existing Uni choices. Possibly start a conversation with their admissions department about the possibility of whether they would, in theory, consider you for one of those courses instead. I would do this sooner rather than later - but it could give you options if you are rethinking your original decisions.
Last edited by owlsweetly; 1 month ago
tobster4000
Rep:
?
(Original post by owlsweetly)
Another option to consider would be to have a look at the Law/Politics courses available as some of your existing Uni choices. Possibly start a conversation with their admissions department about the possibility of whether they would, in theory, consider you for one of those courses instead. I would do this sooner rather than later - but it could give you options if you are rethinking your original decisions.
I thought about this because I really like the look of Leeds specifically. However, I think applying for a course that is competitive in nature like Law would be difficult to negotiate; I could try though
owlsweetly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tobster4000)
I thought about this because I really like the look of Leeds specifically. However, I think applying for a course that is competitive in nature like Law would be difficult to negotiate; I could try though
No harm in asking the questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (70)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (141)
24.44%
Live streaming events (50)
8.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (54)
9.36%
A uni comparison tool (134)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (128)
22.18%