A-Level Geography OCR

Watch this thread
theothomas105
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the content like + how much is there?
Can I do it without GCSE Geography (and will I be at a severe disadvantage)?
Can I still get an A* in it without doing GCSE Geography?
Best way to revise A-Level Geography?
Thank you
in.cendium
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It's geography - there is A LOT of content especially at A-Level but if you find it interesting you should be fine. I did AQA A-Level Geography and there were people in my class who didn't study it at GCSE. I can't speak for them but they seemed to cope okay - they just weren't aware of case studies/concepts that we had briefly covered at GCSE for example so I would suggest reading around the content before class. You could definitely get an A* with the right mind set and hard work - I'm not entirely sure about OCR but I'm assuming it's similar in terms of essay requirements - make sure you write what the examiners are looking for!
theothomas105
Rep:
(Original post by in.cendium)
It's geography - there is A LOT of content especially at A-Level but if you find it interesting you should be fine. I did AQA A-Level Geography and there were people in my class who didn't study it at GCSE. I can't speak for them but they seemed to cope okay - they just weren't aware of case studies/concepts that we had briefly covered at GCSE for example so I would suggest reading around the content before class. You could definitely get an A* with the right mind set and hard work - I'm not entirely sure about OCR but I'm assuming it's similar in terms of essay requirements - make sure you write what the examiners are looking for!
Thank you vert much.
Would you class it as easy? And the best way to revise geography for the exams? Do you think you were at an advnatage wit doing GCSE?
in.cendium
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theothomas105)
Thank you vert much.
Would you class it as easy? And the best way to revise geography for the exams? Do you think you were at an advnatage wit doing GCSE?
Personally I found it pretty easy but only because I loved doing the work for it - extra reading, finding alternative case studies etc. But it's definitely one of the more content heavy A-Levels and memorising a load of facts is helpful but only if you know how to use them.

Revision for me was summarising the detailed notes I had for each topic into single pages with key facts that I could use in my exam answers. Mind maps for case studies and then essay plans/practise for 8/12/20 markers. Also using the specification to figure out what potential questions could come up! Because that's essentially what the examiners do.

I would say I was at a slight advantage studying it at GCSE but not that much. The main disadvantage of not studying it at GCSE is maybe not being aware of certain concepts that A-Level significantly builds on.

Hope this helps, sorry for the late reply!
theothomas105
Rep:
(Original post by in.cendium)
Personally I found it pretty easy but only because I loved doing the work for it - extra reading, finding alternative case studies etc. But it's definitely one of the more content heavy A-Levels and memorising a load of facts is helpful but only if you know how to use them.

Revision for me was summarising the detailed notes I had for each topic into single pages with key facts that I could use in my exam answers. Mind maps for case studies and then essay plans/practise for 8/12/20 markers. Also using the specification to figure out what potential questions could come up! Because that's essentially what the examiners do.

I would say I was at a slight advantage studying it at GCSE but not that much. The main disadvantage of not studying it at GCSE is maybe not being aware of certain concepts that A-Level significantly builds on.

Hope this helps, sorry for the late reply!
No no that is fine and thanls again for the info. Do u think quizlet/flashcards is also good?

And what is the highest essay mark out of?
What conecpts did u know at gcse that came up on A-Level?
Cheers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.94%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (13)
16.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.46%

Watched Threads