JaneSeymour24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello classics friends!! I’m currently in my AS year of Latin A Level and need a bit of advice!

First language - when we do unseens for homework, I do quite well on them but because I check absolutely everything (endings, declensions, tenses, you name it.). However I’m very aware that in an exam situation obviously I’m not going to be able to do that. I know I should just learn it, I’m good with vocab, but grammar seems to be so vast and I really struggle to remember all the intricacies (general rules I’m quite solid with) - any advice much appreciated!!

And now lit. - I’m doing Cicero’s Philippic II and Aeneid XI for AS. I’m fine with analysis etc. but when it comes to learning it, I stare at it for hours on end and can’t seem to remember any of it but suddenly like a day before the test it clicks and I can recite it perfectly. So I know this works but does anybody know how to speed up the process? Many thanks )
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JaneSeymour24)
Hello classics friends!! I’m currently in my AS year of Latin A Level and need a bit of advice!

First language - when we do unseens for homework, I do quite well on them but because I check absolutely everything (endings, declensions, tenses, you name it.). However I’m very aware that in an exam situation obviously I’m not going to be able to do that. I know I should just learn it, I’m good with vocab, but grammar seems to be so vast and I really struggle to remember all the intricacies (general rules I’m quite solid with) - any advice much appreciated!!

And now lit. - I’m doing Cicero’s Philippic II and Aeneid XI for AS. I’m fine with analysis etc. but when it comes to learning it, I stare at it for hours on end and can’t seem to remember any of it but suddenly like a day before the test it clicks and I can recite it perfectly. So I know this works but does anybody know how to speed up the process? Many thanks )
hey! i'm doing a level latin (2nd year).
the grammar is tricky, but honestly if you feel confident enough i'd say to try and do it without looking up grammar and then afterwards going over the passage making sure all the grammar is right. i also ask my teacher lots and lots of questions about grammar and write it down, so that's helpful too. are

as for literature: what i do is make really detailed notes on each section (i'm doing philippic ii and aeneid xi too!). so, for example, for the philippic i'll make a set of notes on each 'chapter' where i outline what happens, write down any difficult vocab i can't translate and all the lit crit points i have. i find that that really helps me. some of my friends like to just learn the translation and make up the lit crit which, imo, isn't really that helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed