The Student Room Group

Student couple + parents.

I currently have a 2 year old who my current partner is not the father of, and I am already a student.
I have found out I am pregnant and also my partner has applied to start studies next year.

How will this work? Are we both entitled to the full Student Finance Entitlement? Do we claim a child each, or do I claim both?

Any advice will help as I cannot find these answers online! Thank you.
Original post by SammyJ2310-x
I currently have a 2 year old who my current partner is not the father of, and I am already a student.
I have found out I am pregnant and also my partner has applied to start studies next year.

How will this work? Are we both entitled to the full Student Finance Entitlement? Do we claim a child each, or do I claim both?

So, to sum up. Me, a student with a 2 year old, expecting a baby with my new partner.
My partner, will be a student, and father to this baby but not my first child.

Full entitlement still, or is it reduced/each of our student incomes taken into account somehow. And how does it work for claiming the children for childcare grant and special allowance.

Thank you.

So, to sum up. Me, a student with a 2 year old, expecting a baby with my new partner.
My partner, will be a student, and father to this baby but not my first child.

Full entitlement still, or is it reduced/each of our student incomes taken into account somehow. And how does it work for claiming the children for childcare grant and special allowance.

Thank you.

Hi Sammy, how old are you.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Sammy, how old are you.
Thanks, Isaac

I am currently 24, my partner 23. Will be 25 and 24 starting next study year.
I am currently 24, my partner 23. Will be 25 and 24 starting next study year.

Please confirm the exact date you turn 25.
Thanks, Isaac
Please confirm the exact date you turn 25.
Thanks, Isaac

October 23rd 2021. Our term starts 4th October I think.
October 23rd 2021. Our term starts 4th October I think.

As you will be under the age of 25 on the first day of the academic year, we won't use your partners details to support your application.

For your first child, we will request evidence to determine if the child is dependent on you or the father.
For your second child, with both you and your partner being students.

Both you and your partner can apply for the Parents Learning Allowance and it's possible for you to both receive this grant. Only one of you will be able to apply for childcare, if you apply for childcare for your first child then we will determine if the child is dependent on you or the father.
Thanks, Isaac
As you will be under the age of 25 on the first day of the academic year, we won't use your partners details to support your application.

For your first child, we will request evidence to determine if the child is dependent on you or the father.
For your second child, with both you and your partner being students.

Both you and your partner can apply for the Parents Learning Allowance and it's possible for you to both receive this grant. Only one of you will be able to apply for childcare, if you apply for childcare for your first child then we will determine if the child is dependent on you or the father.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you!
dependant on the father how? I already get childcare payments for my first as she attends the university nursery, and I receive the parent learning allowance for her currently too. Do I get a higher amount for two children?
Thank you!
dependant on the father how? I already get childcare payments for my first as she attends the university nursery, and I receive the parent learning allowance for her currently too. Do I get a higher amount for two children?

You will be classed as an independent student due to having children so yes you should be eligible to apply for the higher amount.

If the childrens evidence (child benefit letter etc) are in your name not the fathers then it shows the children are dependent on you.
The childrens birth certificates and child benefit letter or child tax credit/universal credit statement can be uploaded in your online account, they do not need to be posted. (When you apply, your online account might say we need original evidence but we don't).
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending