The Student Room Group

a level choices

hi! i am currently in year 11, so now have to choose my a levels, i was wondering if maths, further maths politics and history would be a good decision to potentially study at oxford or LSE?
Reply 1
please help!!!!
Reply 2
Original post by user825857
hi! i am currently in year 11, so now have to choose my a levels, i was wondering if maths, further maths politics and history would be a good decision to potentially study at oxford or LSE?

i think it really depends what you want to study but they sound like a good set of a levels. politics and history i believe are quite essay based but if you can handle that then i'm sure it's fine.
Hey! What are you looking to study at university? Do you have any ideas yet as some courses need you to take specific A-Levels as entry requirements?

If you are applying to a course that doesn't need specific subjects, then I suggest to take whatever you feel you will do best in, and that you currently enjoy! I took Chemistry, mainly because my parents pushed me, and now I am struggling and regretting it.

I do politics and I can say that it is really topical and interesting, since everything you are learning is happening around you, but it is good that you have some traditional essay-based subjects that those more prestigious universities would value. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by etohin
i think it really depends what you want to study but they sound like a good set of a levels. politics and history i believe are quite essay based but if you can handle that then i'm sure it's fine.

thank you! atm im predicted an 8 for history and a 9 for maths, i dont take politics, id like to study economics and history?
Reply 5
thank you! atm im predicted an 8 for history and a 9 for maths, i dont take politics, id like to study economics and history?

that sounds like a great choice. however, if you want to do economics at uni it could be a good idea to do econ? it's not required at most places but it's worth checking just to make sure :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by aysh2626
Hey! What are you looking to study at university? Do you have any ideas yet as some courses need you to take specific A-Levels as entry requirements?

If you are applying to a course that doesn't need specific subjects, then I suggest to take whatever you feel you will do best in, and that you currently enjoy! I took Chemistry, mainly because my parents pushed me, and now I am struggling and regretting it.

I do politics and I can say that it is really topical and interesting, since everything you are learning is happening around you, but it is good that you have some traditional essay-based subjects that those more prestigious universities would value. :smile:

i would like to do economics with economic history, so i am debating replacing politics with economics, even though it isnt required at any uni ive looked at, my parents are also quite STEM based! i think it came as quite a shock when i didnt take any science!
Reply 7
Original post by etohin
that sounds like a great choice. however, if you want to do economics at uni it could be a good idea to do econ? it's not required at most places but it's worth checking just to make sure :smile:

yes, i have looked at quite a few unis, none off them require it, but i'm not sure if it would put me at a disadvantage if i didnt take it.

What are you wanting to do at uni?
Check the courses on the unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they require.
Reply 9
i would say economics is somewhat better regarded than economics (although if you are going to enjoy politics more stay with that choice)

in terms of applying to oxford doing economics may help with the interview. if you are not studying it you will have to do A LOT of extra work to prepare for the interview, just to know the fundamentals of the topics, on top of the extra reading other applicants who study econ will be doing.
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you wanting to do at uni?
Check the courses on the unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they require.

id like to do economics and history :smile:
Original post by humbledoors
i would say economics is somewhat better regarded than economics (although if you are going to enjoy politics more stay with that choice)

in terms of applying to oxford doing economics may help with the interview. if you are not studying it you will have to do A LOT of extra work to prepare for the interview, just to know the fundamentals of the topics, on top of the extra reading other applicants who study econ will be doing.

yes! i have an interview for my sixth form soon, and they also are doing subject talks then, so i might change my mind! thanks :smile:
id like to do economics and history :smile:

Those subjects sound fine but check the unis websites just to make sure.
Reply 13
Oxford don't require further maths for economics but LSE love it. Sounds like a good combo of A-levels to keep both unis open.

Quick Reply

Latest