Which deaneries offer a FY public health rotation? What did/do you make of them?

Watch
Wise-me
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I'm a final yr student and have always had an interest in public health and was wondering if anyone had any experience of a public health FY rotation. There's not much info out there (correct me if I'm wrong ) and I'm particularly interested in any within the South Thames deanery. Thank you so much in advance!
Advertisement
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford have a large public health/international health department and offer FY posts.

It sounded really good - basically doing public health projects for 4 months, whilst sitting in on their meetings and getting some experience.

The only trouble is: how competitive it is to get into public health afterwards!
mrs_bellamy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have an interest in public health I would highly recommend a placement in it in Foundation, or if you can't get one, a taster week. Public health is so different from clinical medicine, and working in public health is very different from studying it (I am a dual public health and GP trainee). Many parts of the country have F2 rotations. This is a great summary of someone's experience as an F2 in public health: https://heeoe.hee.nhs.uk/sites/defau...ment_in_f2.pdf
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi - does anyone have any experience of doing PH in Central + East London/South Thames? Also is it possible to get involved in research during the placement or is mostly practical things (e.g. making reports, etc)?
Wise-me
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Oxford have a large public health/international health department and offer FY posts.

It sounded really good - basically doing public health projects for 4 months, whilst sitting in on their meetings and getting some experience.

The only trouble is: how competitive it is to get into public health afterwards!
wow I didn't realise it was so competitive actually getting in, thanks for the heads up! I guess a placement is a good step in the right direction!
Advertisement
Wise-me
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrs_bellamy)
If you have an interest in public health I would highly recommend a placement in it in Foundation, or if you can't get one, a taster week. Public health is so different from clinical medicine, and working in public health is very different from studying it (I am a dual public health and GP trainee). Many parts of the country have F2 rotations. This is a great summary of someone's experience as an F2 in public health: https://heeoe.hee.nhs.uk/sites/defau...ment_in_f2.pdf
great, thank you! Have you found your training in public has not met/met or even exceeded your expectations when you were more junior?
penguinsphynx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys, does anyone know which deaneries offer public health placements during the foudation years? Seems like some London ones and possible Oxford do them but not much info out there apart from that?
Advertisement
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Salisbury in Wessex offers public health as an F1!
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't you just filter by specialty on Oriel?
Advertisement
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marathi)
Can't you just filter by specialty on Oriel?
You can search FY speciality rotations on oriel now?!
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nexttime)
You can search FY speciality rotations on oriel now?!
Yep

Name:  oriel.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  84.5 KB
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads