Covid and Chinese New Year gathering

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It is tradition for me and other Chinese people to hold very large gatherings for Chinese New Year next month. We are now quickly considering calling off one household on the places to visit as there is a new case inside their building, a 92-year old woman. If there are further cases in that building in the next few weeks, we will be calling off that visit.
Should I cancel all the visits and replace with zoom gatherings, or still go to visit them in person but reduce the time spent inside and wear masks as well?
SiennaRose_03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, you should cancel all the visits. Given the lockdown, it's illegal to visit other households, and you are only allowed to go on walks with one friend. The only circumstance under which you can visit someone is if they are vulnerable and in your support bubble. Sorry to have to break this to you, I know it sucks, but it's so important to stay inside and stop interacting with other people. You're practically asking to get Covid by visiting multiple other households like that. If we put in effort now, this time next year, you might be able to have a normal Chinese New Year . Wishing you a happy one!
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SiennaRose_03)
Yes, you should cancel all the visits. Given the lockdown, it's illegal to visit other households, and you are only allowed to go on walks with one friend. The only circumstance under which you can visit someone is if they are vulnerable and in your support bubble. Sorry to have to break this to you, I know it sucks, but it's so important to stay inside and stop interacting with other people. You're practically asking to get Covid by visiting multiple other households like that. If we put in effort now, this time next year, you might be able to have a normal Chinese New Year . Wishing you a happy one!
I believe the OP isn’t in the UK
———-

I thought a gathering of 2 people from separate households is the maximum allowed in HK? If that’s the case then I’d call it off and do zoom calls - I know it wouldn’t be the same and I know that your cases+deaths are very low, but you don’t want to risk being fined if those penalties are still in place next month
Last edited by laurawatt; 1 month ago
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
I believe the OP isn’t in the UK
———-

I thought a gathering of 2 people from separate households is the maximum allowed in HK? If that’s the case then I’d call it off and do zoom calls - I know it wouldn’t be the same and I know that your cases+deaths are very low, but you don’t want to risk being fined if those penalties are still in place next month
Yes. But they do not care about anything inside apartments!
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Yes. But they do not care about anything inside apartments!
Ahh okay, maybe it’s a decision for closer to the time - wait and see if anyone else tests positive for covid in that building in the next 2 weeks or if it was an isolated case?
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Ahh okay, maybe it’s a decision for closer to the time - wait and see if anyone else tests positive for covid in that building in the next 2 weeks or if it was an isolated case?
That was a building in Lok Wa (North) Estate.
I am also waiting for news from particular buildings in Hin King Estate, South Horizons, Telford Gardens and Butterfly Estate.
I hope there will be no cases in these buildings!
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
We have now decided to cancel all of the visits in 2021.
One of the relatives is almost turning 100, so he is extremely vulnerable. We also have two other relatives in their 80s.
I think we will not have any family gatherings until around August when we celebrate my Grandpa's 80th birthday.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
We ended up with three outbound visits and one visit from others, but there were no lunch gatherings (just one dinner gathering).
The number of cases have dropped to only 12 compared to maximum 100+ a month ago. I also went to a restaurant for the first time in 77 days today.
Ni fa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t risk it, especially for the sake of the elderly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (459)
51.4%
No (434)
48.6%

Watched Threads