The Student Room Group

Stanford University as a British A-Level Student

Hello,
I am thinking of applying to Stanford University in 2022. It is said that the acceptance rate last year was 4% and that 150 of the 1,600 students who enrolled were international. So I am fully aware of the chances of getting in.
My GCSE results were cancelled so as a result I got my predicted grades which were decent enough to land me a spot in a prestigious A-Level College called King Edwards Vi which is a selective college and known to be quite academic as it is not a surprise if 20% of the school population go to Cambridge or Oxford.
My extra curricular’s are:
- Swift Coding Certificate
- Python Coding Certificate
- Harvard CS50 Coding Certificate
- DOfE Silver Award
- DOfE Gold Award
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Bronze)
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Silver)
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Gold)
- Fluent in 3 languages: ENGLISH, THAI and GERMAN
- Rugby Team (4 years and going)
- ASDAN Award
- 7 GCSEs
I am also thinking of starting a YouTube channel for fun which I think shows creativity and passion.

I know Stanford will make me do an SAT which I have found a center just an hour away from my house to do the tests in the UK. Stanford are open about how if the grades you get are decent enough and you have strong extra curriculars, you have a shot of landing a spot.

My questions are:
- What minimum A-Levels should I get minimum to send to them?
- Are my EC’s decent?
- Do I have a chance?
- What other things could you recommend for me to increase my chances.
If you have read all of this and respond, I thank you for taking the time to do so! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Osmundhunter
Hello,
I am thinking of applying to Stanford University in 2022. It is said that the acceptance rate last year was 4% and that 150 of the 1,600 students who enrolled were international. So I am fully aware of the chances of getting in.
My GCSE results were cancelled so as a result I got my predicted grades which were decent enough to land me a spot in a prestigious A-Level College called King Edwards Vi which is a selective college and known to be quite academic as it is not a surprise if 20% of the school population go to Cambridge or Oxford.
My extra curricular’s are:
- Swift Coding Certificate
- Python Coding Certificate
- Harvard CS50 Coding Certificate
- DOfE Silver Award
- DOfE Gold Award
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Bronze)
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Silver)
- iDEA Duke of York Digital Enterprise Award (Gold)
- Fluent in 3 languages: ENGLISH, THAI and GERMAN
- Rugby Team (4 years and going)
- ASDAN Award
- 7 GCSEs
I am also thinking of starting a YouTube channel for fun which I think shows creativity and passion.

I know Stanford will make me do an SAT which I have found a center just an hour away from my house to do the tests in the UK. Stanford are open about how if the grades you get are decent enough and you have strong extra curriculars, you have a shot of landing a spot.

My questions are:
- What minimum A-Levels should I get minimum to send to them?
- Are my EC’s decent?
- Do I have a chance?
- What other things could you recommend for me to increase my chances.
If you have read all of this and respond, I thank you for taking the time to do so! Thank you :smile:

Hi, I believe if you get A*A*A* , you have a decent chance but still its not like they have specific requirements that guarantees you offer given a good PS like in UK. Yes you should take SAT plus SAT subject (depending on what course you want to get into) and score like 1500+. Again i have seen people get in Stanford with 1340 and they assess you very very holistically. Hence, its good if you can score the highest possible. I think you should do a summer school too, that really boosts you application. Plus don’t clatter all sorts of awards you achieved like online certificate. Instead focus on the ones you truly value and feel its very exceptional.
But I am not an expert, so i would suggest, focus on what course you enjoy then your doors will automatically open for you. Just don’t focus on getting specific grade, extra curriculars for the sake of getting into uni.
Hope this helps!
Thank you so much it has I will do anything I can in the next 2 years to try and get it! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest