hhh
Last edited by Casualilikeit; 1 month ago
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Casualilikeit)
Hey I’m a second year moving into student housing for the first time after halls and trying to work out how to go about allocating rooms in our new student house fairly. Is it better to do first come first served? Names out of a hat? There are a couple larger rooms and the rest of the rooms are all average sized so no box rooms thankfully. My only concern is that there has been a big difference in the amount of work put into finding the house and going to house viewings. At least half of my group didn’t do a whole lot - and a lot of it was put on my shoulders and I sorted the house out with minimal input. Is there a way of explaining this in a way that means I can get the room I want?
Hi,

When I moved into a house with my uni mates, we numbered each room and put them in a hat and all picked one. We all found the house so because we had all put in effort, we decided to pay the same amount regardless at to which room we got. However, I have friends who have decided as a house the price of each room depending on the size, so you could always say whoever gets the biggest rooms pays slightly more etc.

There is no right or wrong way of doing it, but maybe have a chat to discuss the way you all want to do it and try to come to an agreement. If you believe you or others have put in more effort, then maybe let them know how you feel and see what they say.

Verity
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For our house, each room had pros and cons (e.g. larger, more storage space, ensuite, etc.), so we each wrote down our top 3 choices. If there was anyone whose 1st choice wasn't anybody else's 1st choice, then that person got that room. Then we put the other rooms into a hat and drew them out. Then you could try and swap rooms with someone if you both agreed (myself and one of my housemates swapped because we each drew each other's 2nd choice), but that way every person has a room allocated.

I was accepted among the group as being the organised one, and I was the one who found the house, arranged the viewing and was in contact with the landlord. I can honestly say I never considered having more claim to any of the rooms because I had done more work, but I didn't mind doing it and we were fortunate that we found it quite quickly, so it wasn't too much work on my part anyway. The best thing to do is talk to one or two of the people in the group, maybe others who helped you or particularly fair/agreeable ones, and see what they think. At the end of the day you will have to live with them, and you don't want to start that with unnecessary tension.
FerrousS
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In a way, I would say names out of a hat (or any other random method) is, on paper, most fair. However, if you put more work into finding the house, there is a definite argument that you should have first choice. This might require some convincing; I would recommend trying to be fairly nice about it, but still clear about what you want. Everyone saying why you want the room might also help - if there's factors like size, what floor you're on, what side of the house, etc, you might be able to distribute things a little better.

Side point which may or may not be relevant in your case: If one room is particularly bigger or smaller, it might even be worth doing a rent adjustment. In one of my student houses, we agreed that I would pay a bit less rent in exchange for taking the tiny room. It was about £5-10 a week, so while the others did have to make that up, it wasn't much when split between them. My bargaining was helped by the fact that none of the others would take the room, though. Granted, some people might be difficult to convince, so that's only a strategy for when room size varies significantly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (38)
25.68%
Unhappy (40)
27.03%
Conflicted (70)
47.3%

Watched Threads