The Student Room Group

Will the ial exams have lower boundaries in Jan 2021?

I heard that the generosity of Oct 2020 will be carried on to the first two exam series of 2021. Is that right?
Original post by 8013
I heard that the generosity of Oct 2020 will be carried on to the first two exam series of 2021. Is that right?

Hope so.. let's see if someone knows... but 6/75 being a pass is just amazing and I don't think I had seen that before.. I actly had the mechanics m1 jan 2021 exam, and in the October one 6/75 was an e!! And 27/75 a C, 49/75 and A... The Jan. 2021 paper was very difficult nevertheless so grade boundaries have to be low, let's just see if they make them even lower like in October..
Reply 2
Original post by George.2255
Hope so.. let's see if someone knows... but 6/75 being a pass is just amazing and I don't think I had seen that before.. I actly had the mechanics m1 jan 2021 exam, and in the October one 6/75 was an e!! And 27/75 a C, 49/75 and A... The Jan. 2021 paper was very difficult nevertheless so grade boundaries have to be low, let's just see if they make them even lower like in October..

I think boundaries will be lower due to COVID-19. Many candidates have to self-teach the content in short time. (I feel with them after taking just two months to study M1)
Original post by 8013
I think boundaries will be lower due to COVID-19. Many candidates have to self-teach the content in short time. (I feel with them after taking just two months to study M1)

Same here 😂
How did you find the Jan 2021 m1 exam? Did you have the wme01 one?
Reply 5
How did you find the Jan 2021 m1 exam? Did you have the wme01 one?

It was ok but I made a few careless mistakes (e.g. v=2as)
Reply 6
Original post by 8013
It was ok but I made a few careless mistakes (e.g. v=2as)

I think I messed up the first question, which was a very simple SUVAT one... I can't remember whether they told you that the ball was 2 m above the ground or 2 m above the point where it started... Do you remember?
Original post by vakomi
I think I messed up the first question, which was a very simple SUVAT one... I can't remember whether they told you that the ball was 2 m above the ground or 2 m above the point where it started... Do you remember?

I remember it. It was 5m above the ground. What did you do exactly?
Reply 8
I remember it. It was 5m above the ground. What did you do exactly?

I can't remember what part A asked for. They asked to calculate the (velocity?) when the ball was either 2m above the ground or 2m above the point of projection, but I can't remember which. Can you? Or what did you get as an answer?
Original post by vakomi
I can't remember what part A asked for. They asked to calculate the (velocity?) when the ball was either 2m above the ground or 2m above the point of projection, but I can't remember which. Can you? Or what did you get as an answer?

(a) was asking for the velocity of the ball when 2m above the ground, with the ball initially starting from a 5m height and being protected vertically upwards with a speed of 22m/s (I think)..
Btw do u remember getting a quadratic that you solved to get time for (b)?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Sorry, just read this. I messed up part a then, what an idiot. Yes, I got a quadratic and a time of 4.32 seconds.
I'm not sure if I did the right thing with part a tho so don't be sure that u made a mistake.. also tbh I don't remember the time I got, but this value u got kinda reminds me of something... Not sure tho..
Reply 12
I guess we will just have to wait and see, and for part a I know for a fact that I did it incorrectly, oh well. So easy and I still managed to mess it up haha
Reply 13
There are more people getting A* and A grades in January 2019 than October 2018. More A*s and As are given in January 2020 compared to October 2019.
So, I expect more A* and A grades to be given this time compared to October 2020.
Chemistry: I guess around 12-15% of us will get A* and around 35% get A.
Maths: I expect around 30-32% of candidates to get an A*.
Physics: I expect around 10% of us will get A* and 30% get A.
As a result the boundaries should get lower.
Reply 14
I hope they do, we’ll see how it goes. Also, I have a feeling Edexcel International A Levels are gonna get cancelled soon...

Quick Reply

Latest