The Student Room Group

I want to make music but I don't if I should go to university.

Hi, My name is Jacob

I have had the dream of making music since I can remember, I'm constantly going through phases of thinking I can make it in the music industry if I work hard enough but I really have no idea if that is true. Being in Year 12, I am being told to look into HE etc for obvious reasons. I kind of always assumed I would go to university and study Maths as thats what I'm good at. I love Maths but I would rather make music, I am aware that it doesn't exactly happen from a course or overnight so that's where I'm stuck.

All in All these are my questions:

Do I go to university? If so, Do I study maths? or Do I take a music production course in which my knowledge is very slim? (When I say make music I mean singer songwriter guitar kid)

or Do I just go off from where I am and forget UNI?

I think university would be useful but at the same time, I'm writing songs every day, I'm posting to youtube at least once a week of a cover im doing. I know I'm no John Mayer or Ed Sheeran but I want to do this so bad, I figured if I just keep practicing I'll get somewhere right? Or am I just lying to myself. Finally, if anything else, I imagine that the UNI life would help me meet new people that I can work with, maybe budding producers etc. I really have no idea, I guess thats why I'm here!

I'd avoid it but good luck with your music career :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by hootdoot04
I'd avoid it but good luck with your music career :tongue:

Avoid music or university lol and how come?
Original post by derselbee
Avoid music or university lol and how come?

music degree, because you don't really need it
go to uni and study maths but continue doing music without a degree is what i'd do
Reply 5
do a maths degree but pursue music in your spare time, worst case you have a back up option :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
If music is what you really want to do, do it. If it's your one and only passion, go all out. Even if it doesn't work out and you're working some crappy part time job, if you think that music is really what you want to do, just do it! Many people think success in music is being famous... but that's not true. There are so many different jobs and different pathways you can take. I'd suggest getting music theory in the bag though, it'll be really useful and make life a lot easier. Don't think you have to go down a conventional route in life and have everything planned out now. Take a chance if it's something you really love. Don't think about the what ifs, if your hearts in it then the skills you learn doing music and uni will stay with you for a lifetime. I really suggest going to open days for music production/business/performance (though they're online at the moment) and talk to the course leaders. They will tell you everything you need to know. Don't cross it out just because it's not considered 'safe'.
You could be a Math major and minor in Music, or how do they even do that? And yeah, I'd probably say to go all out with Music, but I don't think anyone wants to be in a situation where they start to have regrets and wish they had done something different.
Hi, My name is Jacob

I have had the dream of making music since I can remember, I'm constantly going through phases of thinking I can make it in the music industry if I work hard enough but I really have no idea if that is true. Being in Year 12, I am being told to look into HE etc for obvious reasons. I kind of always assumed I would go to university and study Maths as thats what I'm good at. I love Maths but I would rather make music, I am aware that it doesn't exactly happen from a course or overnight so that's where I'm stuck.

Do I go to university? If so, Do I study maths? or Do I take a music production course in which my knowledge is very slim? (When I say make music I mean singer songwriter guitar kid)

I think university would be useful but at the same time, I'm writing songs every day, I'm posting to youtube at least once a week of a cover im doing. I know I'm no John Mayer or Ed Sheeran but I want to do this so bad, I figured if I just keep practicing I'll get somewhere right? Or am I just lying to myself. Finally, if anything else, I imagine that the UNI life would help me meet new people that I can work with, maybe budding producers etc. I really have no idea, I guess thats why I'm here!

Hi, my name is Ana and i´m exaclty on the same boat as you: i´ve been dreaming of making music for ages too and i´m also in year 12.
in my opinion i think you should do both. its going to be quite hard i´m not going to lie to you but its worth it honestly. With university you have a secured path in life.
Personally I think it's defo worth starting off with some lower level vocational education. Production, Mixing, Setting up a room ect, all invaluable base skills and the sooner you start the sooner setting up your own stuff is second nature. These are courses that you can generally do quick and/or free and you wouldn't need to make a huge time and financial commitment to.

(I did a short Digital Audio course at Open Uni, and few small free ones on Coursera put together by the Berklee School of music in sound design and production. well worth the time)
Hi, My name is Jacob

You should definitely go with music, I think you'll regret taking maths. 3 years at uni is a long time that goes quickly :P and even if music doesn't end up working out you'll most likely get a job doing something else and you can keep making music that you love as a side hobby. And if it goes well you can carry on doing what you love the most and hopefully get paid for it. The fact that your knowledge of music is slim doesn't matter, if you are determined, passionate and willing to learn you can make it happen.Good Luck.
Hi, My name is Jacob

Hi there! I think you're in a relatively good position. Lots of Musicians are also good at Maths, and it's actually quite a standard combination to take for a combined honours degree, where you study two subjects at once. In the case of Music and Maths, universities like Edinburgh, Birmingham and Leeds all offer degrees like this. You study the same number of credits, it's just divided between each subject. I'd say, if you want to go to university, study both! You'll have the practicality of Maths, alongside the opportunity to make Music connections and have the uni experience.
Hi, My name is Jacob

I'd go for the production degree that way you can produce music yourself without having to worry about finding a producer for your self also at uni you will find like minded people who also love music and maybe want to write songs with you and perform. Loads of bands form at university's even some massive names like Queen.
Hi, My name is Jacob

have you looked at music conservatories?

Quick Reply

Latest