The Student Room Group

Ear defenders in GCSE exam?

Is it allowed to bring a pair of ear defenders to minimise the distraction?
I don’t think so, but you could always check with your school? :smile:
Original post by Rumyodin
Is it allowed to bring a pair of ear defenders to minimise the distraction?

Doubt it, it would be a nightmare for invigilators.

You can't cut out out annoying noises, people going to the loo etc. you just have to learn to live with it.
Reply 3
Surely exam halls are very quiet places? Sweet wrappers, fidget spinners etc are normally banned to ensure the room is quiet. I've even confiscated pens with clicky tops if people click them repeatedly.

It is possible that this could be approved as an access arrangement if you have a diagnosed condition.
Perhaps as a reasonable adjustment. It seems simpler just to request a separate room.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Surely exam halls are very quiet places? Sweet wrappers, fidget spinners etc are normally banned to ensure the room is quiet. I've even confiscated pens with clicky tops if people click them repeatedly.

It is possible that this could be approved as an access arrangement if you have a diagnosed condition.

Yes they are for the most part,
I used to find the first 10 minutes I pay attention to coughing, chair squeaking, table moving but after that you get in a groove and zone into the paper. I did hate it when the invigilator would come on the mic half way through if their was a minor typo on the paper or something but just something you have to deal with.
Reply 6
Everything that other people do distracts me, such as someone sweeping their feet or tapping their feet, their proximity to my table, chairs/tables being moved.

While I don't want to have to tell other people off, I just want QUIET!
Everything that other people do distracts me, such as someone sweeping their feet or tapping their feet, their proximity to my table, chairs/tables being moved.

While I don't want to have to tell other people off, I just want QUIET!

You cant tell other people of in exam. You'll have to learn to live with low level noise and activity.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Yes they are for the most part,
I used to find the first 10 minutes I pay attention to coughing, chair squeaking, table moving but after that you get in a groove and zone into the paper. I did hate it when the invigilator would come on the mic half way through if their was a minor typo on the paper or something but just something you have to deal with.

Can I still try for them to ask for reasonable adjustments without any diagnosis? I was almost dropping out of IELTS Academic for the same problem.
I got a crying fit when I SIMPLY SAW THAT I WOULD BE SEATED IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE BIG ROOM WHERE I SEE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF ME AND HAVE PEOPLE BEHIND ME. I WAS OFFERED A FRONT ROW SEAT WITHOUT A FORMAL DIAGNOSIS. THEY SWAPPED MY SEAT, LAST MINUTE... . I LOST THE PLOT ON MY ESSAY, AND IT TOOK ME MINUTES TO GET BACK INTO IT BECAUSE I HEARD OTHER PEOPLE AT TABLES NEXT TO ME TAPPING FEET OR TABLE... . Legally, they would not have had to swap seats for me without a formal diagnosis. But can they accept that I bring ear defenders for their inspection?

How can I request a FRONT ROW SEAT OR A LIMITED VIEW - MINOR DISTRACTIONS ONE? When I will be a PRIVATE CANDIDATE...?
Reply 9
Also, IELTS told me I could sit my exam at another DATE, on my own... . But I was - at the time - aiming to get onto an ACCESS COURSE WITH THE REQUIREMENT OF ENGLISH OR IELTS... . So, I didn't wish to postpone.
Can I still try for them to ask for reasonable adjustments without any diagnosis? I was almost dropping out of IELTS Academic for the same problem.
I got a crying fit when I SIMPLY SAW THAT I WOULD BE SEATED IN THE MIDDLE OF ONE BIG ROOM WHERE I SEE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF ME AND HAVE PEOPLE BEHIND ME. I WAS OFFERED A FRONT ROW SEAT WITHOUT A FORMAL DIAGNOSIS. THEY SWAPPED MY SEAT, LAST MINUTE... . I LOST THE PLOT ON MY ESSAY, AND IT TOOK ME MINUTES TO GET BACK INTO IT BECAUSE I HEARD OTHER PEOPLE AT TABLES NEXT TO ME TAPPING FEET OR TABLE... . Legally, they would not have had to swap seats for me without a formal diagnosis. But can they accept that I bring ear defenders for their inspection?

How can I request a FRONT ROW SEAT OR A LIMITED VIEW - MINOR DISTRACTIONS ONE? When I will be a PRIVATE CANDIDATE...?

Probably need to get a note from a GP then report this and they can make arrangements they see fit.
Reply 11
It is THAT complicated?
Reply 12
Why would a venue have a problem with someone's EAR DEFENDERS but not personal glasses?
Reply 13
Can someone make a petition to allow EAR DEFENDERS in the same way that GLASSES ARE ALLOWED?
Reply 14
Who will you have to report to, if you are sitting as a private candidate?
Original post by glassalice
Perhaps as a reasonable adjustment. It seems simpler just to request a separate room.

Disagree, the separate room would require there to be a separate room available and have the added cost of an invigilator just for the candidate, plus a share in an additional roving invigilator.
Why would a venue have a problem with someone's EAR DEFENDERS but not personal glasses?

um bc some ppl have bad eyes and if they didn't have their glasses how would they read the exam paper????
Who will you have to report to, if you are sitting as a private candidate?

Instead of shouting questions on here, try asking the question of your exam centre. I've known headphone applications be approved (although you're unlikely to be able to bring your own headphones - they'll want to give you their own so they know they don't have any form of wireless communication in them). I always have a list of candidates who need to go (variously) near the door/not near the door/at the front/at the back/near the toilet/away from the toilet/not in a room with a high ceiling/with a view of a window/with a view of a tree etc. As long as they don't want a room on their own I am happy to do my best at providing this with no medical evidence. After all, I've seen them sweating in panic in an exam, the GP doesn't have a clue.
You could consider foam ear plugs. These are far more subtle and you're unlikely to be questioned on them in the same way you would be ear defenders. Also, I personally think they are more comfortable for prolonged use as they don't put a lot of pressure on your head like ear defenders do. I wore ear plugs for most of my university exams; I just popped them in before the exam started, and I could still hear the invigilators just fine when they were addressing the whole room or talking to me personally.

Quick Reply

Latest