The Student Room Group

Is civil engineering competitive

Compared to Mechanical and Electrical the grades are usually less and I rarely see that many Civil engineering posts.
Is it easier to get into?
Also does anyone know how many international students apply to this course
Original post by manyonthedam
Compared to Mechanical and Electrical the grades are usually less and I rarely see that many Civil engineering posts.

If the entry requirements are lower then this would suggest that it's a little less competitive.

I'm not sure the proportion of international students studying civil engineering in the UK, but I would be surprised if it wasn't roughtly the same proportion as other disciplines.
Original post by manyonthedam

Hi there!
My name is Anna and I study Civil Engineering at the University of Surrey.

To answer your question, generally getting into Civil Engineering for undergraduate studies you just need to meet the required grades provided by the University and be doing the particular subjects that they mention in their website. Some unis may have an exam or test before they give you an offer, but you will need to check each universities website.
The 5 universities I applied to, all take you in if you meet their entry requirements

At Surrey, its the same case among all the engineering departments.

At Surrey to study BEng Civil Engineering this year, you need to get BBC and get a grade B in A Levels Maths and be studying one of: Biology, Chemistry, Design & Technology, Further Mathematics, ICT, Physics, Computer Science, Geography.

This year, Surrey lowered the entry requirements for all its courses due the current situation and to reduce the relieve any pressure on students.

The reason why you see fewer posts on Civil Eng maybe because there are fewer people studying civil eng compared to mechanical and electrical. In my year there were 55 students and I do remember having friends studying mechanical and electrical who were in a class of more than 100 at least.

But having a smaller class size such as 55 is a huge advantage. Everyone in my course know each other by name so its easier to make friends and everyone helps each other out so your not struggling on your own. I've definitely made life long friends with my course mates!

The number of international students in the course varies depending on the uni and the entry that year so I can only say how many were in my year. In my year, around 2/3 were UK students and the rest were international.

If you have any questions regarding civil engineering, how I'm finding the course, placement, or student life, feel free to ask :smile:
Happy to help!

Anna, Civil Eng
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending