Does body shape and height matter for being a paramedic?

Watch
TheBrightSavage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Firstly, I hope you are doing well during these difficult times!

I am an aspiring paramedic and hope to go to Oxford Brookes Uni...but what's putting me off is the amount of comments people make about my height and how I may not be the right fit for for being a paramedic.

You see, I am short (5 foot) and am a medium size. I have heard that Uni take into account the height and weight of a person applying to paramedic science. How true is this?
upomm1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have seen paramedics of different sizes and weights so it shouldn't really be a problem- if they can then you should be able to as well. Though you should probably check up on the requirements of that uni/ the profession in general in case.
BlueLightDriver
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually thought you'd be saying you were too tall, because tall people have issues because they can't drive the Fiats, and bang their head on the ceiling in the Mercedes.

You might have a fitness test, which may include your weight. But they don't specifically assess your height and weight. It's used in context of other factors - if you don't pass the fitness test they may say you could benefit from losing weight to increase fitness, or building muscle to improve your strength.
TheBrightSavage
Rep:
?
(Original post by upomm1)
I have seen paramedics of different sizes and weights so it shouldn't really be a problem- if they can then you should be able to as well. Though you should probably check up on the requirements of that uni/ the profession in general in case.
Thanks for the reply
TheBrightSavage
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueLightDriver)
I actually thought you'd be saying you were too tall, because tall people have issues because they can't drive the Fiats, and bang their head on the ceiling in the Mercedes.

You might have a fitness test, which may include your weight. But they don't specifically assess your height and weight. It's used in context of other factors - if you don't pass the fitness test they may say you could benefit from losing weight to increase fitness, or building muscle to improve your strength.
ah well I guess I should start working out a bit...homework outs and all just in case.
I am in year 12 as of rn so guess that I have enough time to get into shape.
Thanks for the reply though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (517)
51.34%
No (490)
48.66%

Watched Threads