trigonometry maths a level question

Watch
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im struggling to see where what I did was wrong? I mean, i did get a negative answer lol but my reasoning seems fine? if that makes sense.
the mark scheme did it differently to me. any help would be appreciated. thanks Name:  WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 11.35.38 AM.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  113.6 KBAttachment 993442
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you explain your approach a bit more? It should be reasonably straightforward?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't see how your working relates to the question - are you sure you've posted the right question?
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Can you explain your approach a bit more? It should be reasonably straightforward?
i used the sine rule to get two equations in terms of h and x. i then rearranged to get both of them in terms of x, then equated the then re-arranged to find the value of h?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
i used the sine rule to get two equations in terms of h and x. i then rearranged to get both of them in terms of x, then equated the then re-arranged to find the value of h?
But you don't seem to use 80m, why 32 and 38 degrees ....
Rather than the trig mechanics, what are you trying to find and how?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Note that the OP writes 12a for the question they're answering, but the attachment is for a question 6...
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Note that the OP writes 12a for the question they're answering, but the attachment is for a question 6...
Omg tysm for pointing that out

(Original post by mqb2766)
But you don't seem to use 80m, why 32 and 38 degrees ....
Rather than the trig mechanics, what are you trying to find and how?
I attached the wrong photo im so sorry. Here's the correct question. Name:  IMG_20210120_155350903.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I attached the wrong photo im so sorry. Here's the correct question. Name:  IMG_20210120_155350903.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB
You've gone wrong when you multiply through as you've 'ignored' doing anything to the 15.

You seem to have made it very complicated - they are right angled triangles so you could have used tan

e.g. tan 40 = h/(x + 15) and ...
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your 50^o angle seems to change to 30^o for no obvious reason.

Your workings would be a lot simpler if you used cos <angle> instead of manually converting to sin(90 - <angle>) and you'd be less likely to make mistakes.

Even better, you could directly use tan instead of sin(angle)/sin(90-angle) as you are doing.
DJ Trump fan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just split it into a right angle triangle and a non right angle triangle. Work out the hypotenuese of the right angled triangle by using sine rule for the non right angled triangle. You can then just use SOHCAHTOA to find the height. As someone said above, you haven't multiplied the 15 by sin52 in your working out when you rearrange. Hope this helps.
Last edited by DJ Trump fan; 1 month ago
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Your 50^o angle seems to change to 30^o for no obvious reason.

Your workings would be a lot simpler if you used cos <angle> instead of manually converting to sin(90 - <angle>) and you'd be less likely to make mistakes.

Even better, you could directly use tan instead of sin(angle)/sin(90-angle) as you are doing.
(Original post by Muttley79)
You've gone wrong when you multiply through as you've 'ignored' doing anything to the 15.

You seem to have made it very complicated - they are right angled triangles so you could have used tan

e.g. tan 40 = h/(x + 15) and ...
Thank you for your help x . I tried it using tan it was way easier. Thanks
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your help x . I tried it using tan it was way easier. Thanks
Yes - only use sine/cosine rule when there is no right angle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.48%
No (230)
48.52%

Watched Threads