wildem18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi I wanted some help I'm in your 9 and I'm about to choose my options for GCSEs I want to be a paediatric nurse but I'm not sure what to study I know you have to choose science and English and maths but we already do that anyway but I don't know what else I should choose I want to choose something that might be able to help to be a paediatric nurse.I had some ideas of what I want to choose but I'm not sure if it'll help most of the ones that I want to do help with teamwork which is good and are good to have as a GCSEs but want to get some advice please.
k8902
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi! What options are you considering - you said you had some in mind ? I wouldn’t worry too much, my gcses weren’t very relevant to what I’ve applied to study at uni. (Applied for medicine, picked french Chinese Latin and history).
wildem18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm thinking of choosing French and history music or food tech.
k8902
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by wildem18)
I'm thinking of choosing French and history music or food tech.
Ah okay. I’d say French is a good choice - it will improve your communication skills which would be useful if you wanna be a nurse in the future! I’d say base your choices on what you enjoy the most. You’re going to spend the next two years studying those subject so it’s important that you’ll like them It’s great that you want to be a nurse, but I think they’re not too fussed with what GCSEs you do (maybe what results you get rather). Maybe to get a variety of humanities and more creative subjects, you could do history with food tech / music (not too sure if they have coursework as it may be difficult if you have two subjects with coursework). But yeah I’d say pick what you would most enjoy studying for two years - then when the current situation improves and we’re not in lockdown, you might be able to do some volunteering which would improve your teamwork skills etc?
millsr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As long as you pass maths, English and science, it doesn't particularly matter. My GCSEs weren't very relevant to nursing and none of the unis I applied to cared at all. As long as you get decent grades and pick something you enjoy, I wouldn't worry about it. Remember you may end up taking these subjects at A level, so consider what you might want to still be studying two years down the line. Preferences change, though - I picked my GCSE subjects with the aim of doing a psychology or law degree, and have chosen a completely different route now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads