Politics and International Studies Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Watch
B999555
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey there,
I know there is a general Cambridge PG Applicants thread for 2021, but I thought it would have been helpful to have a thread for applicants to POLIS specifically.

I thought we could give a timeline of our applications, and a bit of background — as well as the outcome of the application in case one has heard back.
soupdish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi, applied Jan 7th and currently 'under review by department' last I checked! I'm an international applicant and super excited to attend Cambridge if admitted. applied to Christ's College and Emmanuel College as well
MS6798
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I've applied on 21 dec and I'm still at 'under review by department'. I graduated from Warwick obtaining a First Class BA in Politics and International Studies. Hopefully we'll hear back soon!
B999555
Rep:
?
I applied on 25.12 and have been under departmental review since then. In terms of background, I study Politics with Philosophy at King’s College London and expect a mid-first overall. I think the degree committee is scheduled for today.
wkt0703
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Submitted in late November and still under review here. Good luck to all!
H207
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hd2510)
Anybody seen a status change for Mphil Politics and International Relations?
Not yet. Mine is still under review. Although I applied on the 4th of Jan so I'm not expecting any communication anytime soon (except a rejection perhaps)
B999555
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lc1155)
Hello. I’m an international applicant. I submitted my application on Jan 1st. Today my status changed to awaiting approval by GAO
Congratulations!!!
MS6798
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lc1155)
Hello. I’m an international applicant. I submitted my application on Jan 1st. Today my status changed to awaiting approval by GAO
Congratulations! Could you share some info about your background please?
lori.keet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you OP for making this thread! I'm applying for the MPhil in Politics and International Relations.

A bit about me: I'm an international student from the US, studying theology at a mid-sized private university. My GPA is 3.92/4.0. Relevant experiences on my CV include president of student government at my university and an internship on a Congressional campaign this summer. Most of my work experience has been administrative (though I did work at a non-profit), so not necessarily related to politics, but I have done a lot of research on the intersections of theology and political-social issues during my undergraduate degree.

I'm still at the "Under review by Department stage" and I submitted 25 November. I put Magdalene as my first choice; if admitted, I'd really like to join their quiz team!
Last edited by lori.keet; 1 month ago
B999555
Rep:
?
I have been moved to the “awaiting approval by GAO” stage this afternoon, for the MPhil in Development Studies (which particularly focuses on my research interests within politics and political economy).

I am not sure what that means. Some say it means I have been basically accepted, others that it is a good sign, others not to read too much into it. I lean toward the latter, and hope to receive an official communication soon (still expecting a rejection to be honest).
lori.keet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by B999555)
I have been moved to the “awaiting approval by GAO” stage this afternoon, for the MPhil in Development Studies (which particularly focuses on my research interests within politics and political economy).

I am not sure what that means. Some say it means I have been basically accepted, others that it is a good sign, others not to read too much into it. I lean toward the latter, and hope to receive an official communication soon (still expecting a rejection to be honest).
No, that is basically an acceptance! At this stage, the staff will check to verify your transcripts and make sure you're at a creditable institution. So unless you submitted fraudulent documents or you come from a very new/illegitimate university, you're basically in. Congrats!
B999555
Rep:
?
(Original post by lori.keet)
No, that is basically an acceptance! At this stage, the staff will check to verify your transcripts and make sure you're at a creditable institution. So unless you submitted fraudulent documents or you come from a very new/illegitimate university, you're basically in. Congrats!
I hope I will be safe with King’s College London then 😅
lori.keet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by B999555)
I hope I will be safe with King’s College London then 😅
What do you mean? Oh, do you mean to say that's where you did your bachelors?
B999555
Rep:
?
Yes yes
Politics1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone apply for the PhD?
wkt0703
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any mphil applicant has been under review for more than 8 weeks? The wait is killing me >.<
maritimer97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Politics1998)
Anyone apply for the PhD?
Hi! I have applied for the PhD but have not heard back yet unfortunately. My portal still reads 'Under review by the Department.' Has anyone any news?
Politics1998
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maritimer97)
Hi! I have applied for the PhD but have not heard back yet unfortunately. My portal still reads 'Under review by the Department.' Has anyone any news?
No news yet! I think the department usually runs interviews and the website says they will all happen next week. But I haven’t heard anything...
maritimer97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Politics1998)
No news yet! I think the department usually runs interviews and the website says they will all happen next week. But I haven’t heard anything...
Ah, thank you for letting me know. Very suspenseful! I am aware they have been sending out rejections over the past week for this programme, so let's hope that we will receive positive news in the next few days!
Politics1998
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maritimer97)
Ah, thank you for letting me know. Very suspenseful! I am aware they have been sending out rejections over the past week for this programme, so let's hope that we will receive positive news in the next few days!
Yes I saw some rejections on gradcafe...have you spoken with a supervisor? Applying to any other programs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.26%
No (232)
48.74%

Watched Threads