Politics and International Studies Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Watch
maritimer97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Politics1998)
Yes I saw some rejections on gradcafe...have you spoken with a supervisor? Applying to any other programs?
Hi, I wrote to Professor Bickerton a few weeks ago, and we exchanged a few emails--he seemed very nice. I'm very excited to say that I was asked to interview with him this week. I hope you received positive news, too! And I am applying to a few others, Oxford, KCL, and Royal Holloway (cybersecurity CDT). What about yourself?
sunf1ower
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by maritimer97)
Hey, I'm not sure if this is helpful--I was accepted to the MPhil POLIS program for the 2019 intake in mid February of that year (I believe it was the third week of Feb), and I believe that is the typical wait time for the program. I hope this doesn't leave you in suspense for too long--good luck!!
aw that’s so helpful, thank you so much!
Politics1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by maritimer97)
Hi, I wrote to Professor Bickerton a few weeks ago, and we exchanged a few emails--he seemed very nice. I'm very excited to say that I was asked to interview with him this week. I hope you received positive news, too! And I am applying to a few others, Oxford, KCL, and Royal Holloway (cybersecurity CDT). What about yourself?
No interview invite but no rejection either! Nervous!
Livontheedge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey guys!

I got offers from two courses within POLIS (but not the POLS MPhil itself) and it took about 6 weeks for MPhil Development Studies and under 4 weeks for MPhil African Studies (I had been admitted for 2020 entry but decided to take up my fellowship instead so that might be why it was quick!)

Best of luck to everyone! Which colleges have people gotten?
MS6798
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just got my rejection for the MPHIL POLIS, I had applied in late December, good luck with your applications!
ALICEDB00
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Are home students still stuck on department review or have people moved onto the next stage?
mycherieamour
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone applied for Public policy?
H207
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mycherieamour)
Anyone applied for Public policy?
I did! Applied on 1st of jan
DanTea1265
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone! Excellent idea starting this thread — I've been trying to find you all! I'm an international student from Australia, applied to the MPhil POLIS on the 3rd of January, and got my conditional offer letter Thursday afternoon GMT after about 72 hours on the GAO message. I wish everyone still waiting for an outcome the very, very best of luck. For anyone who has gotten an offer across the POLIS courses, I'd love to connect and wander through conditions, colleges, funding etc.
Last edited by DanTea1265; 2 months ago
mycherieamour
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by H207)
I did! Applied on 1st of jan
Cool, I applied a bit later and still haven't heard anything back. I see from your profile that you are already at the GAO stage. Congrats! Do you mind sharing a bit about yourself? Do you have any professional experience in the field?
H207
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mycherieamour)
Cool, I applied a bit later and still haven't heard anything back. I see from your profile that you are already at the GAO stage. Congrats! Do you mind sharing a bit about yourself? Do you have any professional experience in the field?
Sure!

So academically I have BSc (1:1) and two MSc (both 1:1, *** laude and taken simultaneously).

Work experience : not relevant, mostly in finance private sector, but had extracurricular during university involving social causes (founded a student organisation promoting diversity at my uni).

I think I got in based on my academic merit, recommendation letters and my essay probably, coz work experience -wise i wasnt in the sector nor i had worked for anyone imteresting.
bd00210
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone! Just here because I've not received any update (applied 1 December...) and just saying hello to stop myself going mad waiting. Fingers crossed we all find out soon
bd00210
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Submit reply

(Original post by wkt0703)
Any mphil applicant has been under review for more than 8 weeks? The wait is killing me >.<
Yep! 9 weeks tomorrow...
Livontheedge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bethanymrd)
Submit reply

Yep! 9 weeks tomorrow...
Don't know if this helps but when I was at the end of my 6 weeks for MPhil Development Studies (within POLIS), I emailed the course coordinator to ask when to expect a decision and she emailed back to tell me that I had been recommended for an offer and my portal changed to GAO at the same time! Guess somebody may have forgotten to click the button, which is absolutely fine as COVID is throwing all of our schedules off!

You can always try to email At least they will let you know if a decision has been made or not!
bd00210
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Livontheedge)
Don't know if this helps but when I was at the end of my 6 weeks for MPhil Development Studies (within POLIS), I emailed the course coordinator to ask when to expect a decision and she emailed back to tell me that I had been recommended for an offer and my portal changed to GAO at the same time! Guess somebody may have forgotten to click the button, which is absolutely fine as COVID is throwing all of our schedules off!

You can always try to email At least they will let you know if a decision has been made or not!
This really is helpful, thank you so much! I have emailed, fingers crossed I get such a wonderful response!!! Congratulations love!
hannakts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DanTea1265)
Hi everyone! Excellent idea starting this thread — I've been trying to find you all! I'm an international student from Australia, applied to the MPhil POLIS on the 3rd of January, and got my conditional offer letter Thursday afternoon GMT after about 72 hours on the GAO message. I wish everyone still waiting for an outcome the very, very best of luck. For anyone who has gotten an offer across the POLIS courses, I'd love to connect and wander through conditions, colleges, funding etc.
Hi! I applied to the MPhil POLIS on the 6th of January and was moved to GAO last Thursday. I hope to hear back soon about a final decision and what my conditions entail. Congrats on your offer btw!
DanTea1265
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hannakts)
Hi! I applied to the MPhil POLIS on the 6th of January and was moved to GAO last Thursday. I hope to hear back soon about a final decision and what my conditions entail. Congrats on your offer btw!
Congrats on the GAO message! I'm sure that's a good sign of an impending offer. And, judging by my GAO to offer timing, today or tomorrow you may have a nice email waiting for you. For context, my conditions were: passports; uploading profile photo; accepting the offer; and providing different copies of my testamurs, which had been torn from being inside a random box, haha. And thank you :-)!
jg1337
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone! I'm currently sitting on GAO. Submitted my application on the 7th, then moved to GAO on the 28th (didn't check much between then so unsure what date it changed exactly) - so on edge waiting to hear back. Good luck people!
soupdish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm at GAO today as well for POLIS!! I'm an international applicant from the US and I've been anxiously checking the status checker atleast once a day ahah. Also, I think I went to GAO sometime after 5pm UK time!
jg1337
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just received my conditional offer there! Honestly can't believe it. Took from the 28th-2nd to get updated (weekend inbetween).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (8)
22.22%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (9)
25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (17)
47.22%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (2)
5.56%

Watched Threads