average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Could anyone help me with this question?
Extreme weather conditions vary in contrasting countries. Discuss the differences in extreme weather conditions in contrasting countries. You should develop your ideas fully. [6 marks]

I know how I could talk about normal weather conditions and how they contrast, but not too sure about extreme. And I don't know what countries to use. I did a small bit of work on Australia and Peru but I don't have any data on that

Any help would be massively appreciated-thanks
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by username11235813)
An extreme weather conditions example could possibly be droughts and wildfires in California - which tend to occur in areas that are more high pressure with more anticyclones.

A contrasting example could be extreme weather such as flooding in Bangladesh (more low pressure climate with depressions, low lying, many rivers, lots of relief rainfall from Himalayas...).

It's been a while since I did GCSE Geography, but I'm guessing that this is about physical conditions. You could possibly explain factors leading to them (e.g. as there are many anticyclones and high pressure systems, there will be lots of dry weather. Combined with rising temperatures due to global warming, changing weather patterns, and no rainfall leading to droughts and dry periods, this can cause vegetation to dry up, leading to wildfires. For instance, in the California wildfires of *pick your favourite case study year*...

You could then do the opposite for factors leading to flooding, or storm surges, or even hurricanes, or the Monsoon, or whatever takes your fancy.

These countries contrast because of location, latitude, climate, and also development (one of the richest countries in the world and a MEDC / HIC, and a NIC (newly industrialised country), or whatever vocabulary your exam board uses, which isn't about the physical side.

This is by no means meant to be a model answer by the way - it's just some random thoughts I've had, with no structure whatsoever, bearing in mind it's a while since I did Geography GCSE, and I did a weird exam board (Eduqas).
thanks, this was helpful !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads