Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
is it illegal for someone to spread another person's phone number on the internet ? (this happened to my friend)
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
is it illegal for someone to spread another person's phone number on the internet ? (this happened to my friend)
yep.......pretty sure it is
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
yep.......pretty sure it is
what are the consequences or what if it was just a prank?
Alishalol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
what are the consequences or what if it was just a prank?
Tbf this happened a few yes ago to me, got TONS of calls during the night (was spread on imjustbait) but it stopped eventually if that helps x
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I don't know if it would be a criminal offence, but it is definitely a civil wrong i.e. a violation of their privacy.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your friend needs to change their mobile number ASAP, regardless of the legalities of what happened.
ADarling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
if that person doesn't have consent yes
Anonymous #1
the issue is my friend doesnt know who spread the number
emj.j
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm pretty sure it is
rommroma557
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yess
CletusPotter
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
the issue is my friend doesnt know who spread the number
If that's the case then your friend needs to contact the Police, and leave it to them. You can't sue someone that you don't know.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 6 months ago
Yes. GDPR and all that.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Simply posting a phone number and inviting people to call it may be classed as harrassment. If the phone number is accompanied with identifying information like name, address, birth date etc., then this is also a breach of personal data.

Both are illegal. However, finding out who did it and then prosecuting them is another matter.

Police are unlikely to act and even if they did, it would not be a priority given their overstretched resources as it is.

A civil case for damages could be sought, but this is a costly route fraught with traps to foil claims.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by uberteknik)
Simply posting a phone number and inviting people to call it may be classed as harrassment. If the phone number is accompanied with identifying information like name, address, birth date etc., then this is also a breach of personal data.

Both are illegal. However, finding out who did it and then prosecuting them is another matter.

Police are unlikely to act and even if they did, it would not be a priority given their overstretched resources as it is.

A civil case for damages could be sought, but this is a costly route fraught with traps to foil claims.
Oh okay, thank you very much!
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
How old is your friend and how does he/she know that his/her number has been shared via the internet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (7)
50%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (1)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (6)
42.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads