itz_gaby
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study mathematics at uni and have been given an ABC (with A in maths) offer from Surrey for the BSc course and ABB (with A in maths and B in further maths) offer from Kent for the MMath course. Any advice for picking which one to put as my firm?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Advice here on Choosing Firm and Insurance : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

And remember that you do not have to decide this for months, and you don't get any extra brownie points from the Unis for making an early decision.
StudentRep Canterbury
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations on getting into two very good universities. I think it is important as a student to make your final decision based on the quality of the education alongside a well balanced social life too which I know Kent can provide for you. In terms of advice, one of the first things I did was look at the league tables for my particular course, and for Maths Kent is higher on the league tables than your other choice by 9 places https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...gs/mathematics. This must mean that the quality of education must be just that much better than your other option. This would explain why Kent has also been awarded Gold, the highest rating, for the quality of teaching in the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework. But asides academics, the campus is what sold it for me and I know you're not able to view it right now but hopefully before Sept you'll be able to see the beautiful greenery and views that surrounds Canterbury that alone is what sold me (p.s if you come to kent I highly recommend going for a walk to see the sunrise on campus, it's a stunning view)!

But campus is not limited to just academics & views there is so many things to get up to: you can indulge in Kent Sport where the gym is free for first years and undergraduates who live on campus, we also have The Venue which is our very own night club on campus and if you just want a relaxed but fun activity we have a cinema on campus too! The most important thing is that you choose a university that you will feel the most happy in, good luck on making your decision!
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itz_gaby)
I want to study mathematics at uni and have been given an ABC (with A in maths) offer from Surrey for the BSc course and ABB (with A in maths and B in further maths) offer from Kent for the MMath course. Any advice for picking which one to put as my firm?
Hi there,

Congratulations on receiving an offer for Kent and Surrey!

When it comes to deciding on one as your firm I think some factors you should consider are: the teaching available, the support and facilities available, the local area, transport. These are just a few factors to consider as I believe that when it comes to choosing a university it comes down to where you think you'll be happier and where you will settle in most and these factors can help with making that decision.

Is there anything about Surrey you would like to know in more detail, I can set out what the teaching is like here or what facilities and support there is on campus. You can also look at this link to see more about student life here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-life and also if you would like to see Surrey from a students perspective please follow SurreyStudent on Instagram!

I wish you the best of luck in whatever university you decide to go to, and please try not to stress about what university to pick, weigh up the options above and do some research and hopefully you'll be able to come up with a decision perfect for you!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by itz_gaby)
Kent - much pleasanter place to live ...

Seriously - look at modules too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (649)
48.36%
No (693)
51.64%

Watched Threads